PDA

View Full Version : Denhamville Skirmish Range

Southron Sr.
03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
First of all, let me say "Thanks" to everyone from the Carolina, Deep South and other Regions that attended the Denhamville, GA Skirmish this past weekend! We of the 24th Georgia were the Host Team.

Denhamville was burned down in November of 1864 by the N-SSA's own 149th New York during Sherman's Tour of Georgia-so it is now a "Ghost Town," The only structure that remains standing is an indutrial brick chimney that was constructed in 1848 and the chimney for the Tannery located in the town.

In keeping with the unique Southern Venue of the Denhamville Skirmish-we don't give away Medals to Individual and Team Competition Winners, but we give away "Secession Badges!" Blue or Gold for 1st Place, Red for 2nd Place and White for 3rd Place.

We presently have ONE unique venue for N-SSA Skirmishes: Our Mortar Range is an "Indirect Fire" range, so a Mortar Team must have an "Observer."

This weekend I also got a commitment from a contractor to build some berms AND THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY we can also set up a SEPARATE RANGE of 150-200 Yards for "Long Range" Skirmish events that would allow Skirmishers to use their Rifles and Rifle-Muskets OR their Whitworth and Volunteer Rifles.

As our next Skirmish will be held next year this time-I need to know IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST in a Long Range Individual Matches for us to go ahead and build/set up such a range.

So, Please let me know IF you would consider coming to the 2014 Denhanville Skirmish IF we build a 150-200 Yard Range and are willing to enter the "Denhamville Long Range Match!"

THANKS

Southron, Sr.,
His Honor,
The Mayor of Denhamville

Robt. Propst
03-04-2013, 07:29 PM
The members of the Deep South 44th Georgia Volunteer Infantry really enjoyed the shoot this weekend, and the Secession Cockades were a beautiful change to the standard or run of the mill medals. While we might not have an interest in either the mortar or long range shooting events, please count us in for next year. It was a great, friendly, well run shoot. We look forward to more shoots at the same location, with the same Georgia hospitality. Regards, Bob Propst, Commander, 44th Georgia

Southron Sr.
03-04-2013, 07:42 PM
THANK YOU, BOB!

Y'all will always be WELCOME! We really appreciate having the 44th Georgia here. We are making the Denhamville Skirmish an annual event! Hopefully, next year the weather will be a bit warmer!

All My Best

Southron, Sr.,

Michael Bodner
03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
You're dang-tootin' you better get warmer weather for next year! Why I was so cold my minie-balls had icecicles and my cockades turn blue!!

But in spite of that, Palmetto Sharpshooters had a great time and will certainly come back next year!!

I'm looking foreward to trying the BBQ sauce too!

Thanks for hosting a great skirmish!!

-Mike

Southron Sr.
03-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your kind words Bootsie!

Don't know where the C-O-L-D weather came from. For this coming weekend the weather forescast says it will by sunny and warm!!

Maybe next year we can hold it in April when all of the Dogwood trees will be in bloom.

All My Best
Southron

CAGerringer
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Southron Sr,
That would be great. I know the Old Dominion Dragoons are looking for a shoot to attend in GA., but were scheduled to host a shoot at Capron, VA the same weekend. If we can deconflict, I bet you'd have a Tidewater Team there to add to the HooHah.
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Southron Sr.
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Dear Mr. Gerringer:

We would LOVE to have a Tidewater team(s) to attend the Denhavmille Skirmish next year!!!

I have some very fond memories of attending Tidewater Region Skirmishes in the 1970's! What a great group of Skirmishers!!

All My Best

Southron, Sr.
His Honor
The Mayor of Denhamville