PDA

View Full Version : brass sleeve/washers for revolver grips

Jim Barber
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Anyone know of a source for the countersunk brass bits through which revolver grips are bolted together? I don't know the scientific nomenclature for em. An enthusiastic woodworking friend is itching to try and make a set of new grips for my Euroarms Rogers & Spencer. I stripped the varnish off em, re-oiled with Kramer's Antique Improver and they just look silly. They were cut from different parts of the tree-- or different trees altogether. One took a nice dark tone, the other remains blonde. Plus, compared to a couple other repros I've fondled, the current grips don't match the frame exactly. Mentioned it to my buddy Warren and he said, "I bet I can make you a good looking set of replacements. Walnut? hickory? Ohhh, how bout Mahogany? I got lots of small blocks to fool with!" I don't want to stop him from following his life's ambition, but neither of us can find a source for the brass hardware for the grips-- woodcraft, woodwerks, all the usual woodworking hardware places, nor DGW or S&S. Basically a knurled sleeve on one side and an inset nut on t'other? I reckon they're specific to the gun model, which might explain the impossibility of finding them on the interwebs. That or my lack of understanding of this whole interwebs thing. Seems like every time I type in a search for useful information, lewd pictures of ladies pop up instead. My righteous umbrage discourages me from further web inquiry, so I turn to you for accurate and dignified support.

Thanks for any info you might provide!

Jim B.
110th OVI
Grove City, OH

Muley Gil
03-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Them be ferrules or escutcheons. Dixie Gun Works sells 'em. Page 168 of the 2012 catalog. Part numbers SP0507 & SP0405.

Jim Barber
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Thank you Gil, both for the information & for sparing me from the hideous debauchery lurking around every corner of Al Gore's accursed inter-web!

Cheers!
Jim

ken s
03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
DGW but don't buy just one...and get the oversized screw to go with it.
blue the screw after by buffing it, heating it until it turns deep blue..(6 seconds) then quench in Cod Liver Oil. leah, the stuff u momma used to make you take every morning.
Colt did this and called it a 'fish oil blue'. barrels, sights, screw heads. the more you polish it before, the higher gloss you'll get, and it lasts.
OK...now all of you go get your guns and blue every screw you own, and .your welcome...
Ken S

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Winchester Sutler also sells them. See: http://winchestersutler.com/Part.html

Blair
03-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Gary,

That is a good suggestion.

However, (this is just a suggestion on my part) be sure to order the escutcheon (male and female), and make sure you order the grip screw that fits them at the same time.
Most of the repro escutcheons (and screws) are larger than the originals were. If you are wanting to restore an original pair of grips... (best suggestion) is to hunt for a set of original parts for that model revolver.
Hope this helps,

Jim Barber
03-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Finally, a good use for cod liver oil!! I wondered about the description of the screws on DGW: "bright steel" I believe it said. All the tinkering I do around here, the neighbors are going to start thinking I'm running a meth lab or something!

Whenever I get it done & put together I'll try and post up a couple photos.

Thanks all!

Jim