PDA

View Full Version : Potsdam Load help

Buzzo
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello all;
Looking for some suggestions for a load. I have recovered an original Potsdam in 72 Cal that is working after some minor repairs. Bore is .725 and I have a mold for .715 that seems to work fine after a test shoot yesterday. While all 9 shots were on the paper at 25 yds, the group was a bit wide and mostly high. (first one went into the berm at 100 as a safety test and was within 16 inches of aim point) I used 70 gr of 2FF Goex and 52 gr of 3FFF Goex. Lube is a mix the team is using and encountered no excessive fouling or difficulty loading after 10 shots.

Any suggestions for powder and charge to use? Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Buzz Try roughing the balls slightly, file,rasp what ever. Lube as you said is ok. Try 3f Swiss between 50 and 60 grains.
Swiss burns MUCH cleaner and is more consistant. What nipple is in it. if orginal get one from Lodgewood. Works for all 5 of our Potsdams. Good luck. Wayne Shaw Harlan's Light Cav (tdyt) 1985V

Buzzo
03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Wayne;
Thanks for the advice. I'll grab some swiss as all I have on hand is Goex. Its an original musket and I replaced the nipple with a new one from S&S. I plan on a little more range work with a variety of 2F loads next week until I can get the swiss. I'll work on rasping the rounds up a bit as well. I've heard coffee can shaking or a couple files works well.