PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 1858 Remington .36 revolver

Jim Barber
02-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Greetings all! I just got home with a new-to-me Lyman Remington .36 cal. revolver. It was made by Uberti, I think ("U" in an octagonal-ish symbol). It came in the original box, with the included Lyman .375 RB mould still wrapped in rust-resistant paper, taped shut with paper tape. My dad suspects it's never been fired, as it had a zip tie (but one that does not look like a modern zip-tie) holding the hammer down & had no marks,wear on the cylinder, etc. And it was in a greasy plastic bag covered in hardened RIG-type grease. Neat-o. When I set about cleaning it I found tiny shavings and machining bits in the cylinders-- the thing really has never been used, or, I suspect, even had the cylinder turned since it left the factory.
My primary question about it is just when it was made. I realized it must be older than I first thought when the break-in instructions included "soak the metal parts in solvent to remove protective grease or, if solvent not available, use gasoline. Use caution. etc." Gasoline! Gasp.
There are numerous stampings on it; the Uberti symbol on LH side of barrel, 3283 on the barrel under the loading lever, and 6969 on the butt of the grip. Also, on the RH side of frame, "PN XX7" and tiny crossed swords? arrows? over a shield. I just spent an hour searching the interwebs for series/serial # info and came up blank.
Also, if anyone has load ideas or other info particular to making this thing shoot, I'd appreciate it. I reckon it's too late to fill out the warranty card, huh!

Thanks!
Jim Barber
110th OVI
Grove City, OH

Timmeu
02-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Sounds like a Nice one Jim!

The U is in a Octagon barrel looking at it from the muzzle. I have one of these and haven't shot it. Let me know how it works out.

Jim Barber
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Marty,

Now that I look at it again, it should've been obvious. If I manage to hit anything with it I'll let you know. The Lyman manual specifies 375 RB or conical bullets, FFFg powder and #11 caps. It doesn't suggest any specific charges though-- in fact, it says something like "while the gun may be safely loaded full to bursting with powder, lighter loads may be better.experiment to find the best charge for your purpose."

I just found an old discussion on thefiringline.com which, if correct, indicates that my "new" gun with XX7 was mfg. in 1971! Holy cow, I was in diapers then. The Lyman is in much better shape than me, considering our age.

Cheers
Jim

Muley Gil
02-22-2013, 08:04 PM
"Holy cow, I was in diapers then."

Heck, boy. I still own SOCKS from back then!

I think I wore a pair of them today.

Timmeu
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
You wear socks! That seems to be out of character for you. :)

Jim Barber
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Marty, touche!
Ya know, after I posted that comment, I thought to myself, "someone is going to give me a sharp jab with a stick about it." The N-SSA has got to be the only actual, competitive sporting organization which can make a 40-some year old man feel like a snot-nosed punk.
When I was about 16 or 17, at the Nationals one year, some drunken, bloodshot-eyed lout (whose team shall remain nameless to protect their guilt) reeled toward me and said in an ominous, frightening pirate tone, "Aye, you'll make a FINE cabin boy!" I think I may have been caught trying to filch beers out of a cooler or something. 25 or so years later, once in a while, I STILL get called "The Cabin Boy." Long memories, this bunch.
And for the record, according to my girlfriend, I would still be wearing 40 year old socks and underwear if she didn't callously toss them out and replace them just 'cause they were, well, "more holes than sock and a waistband with some cotton hanging off it." You just can't please some people.

Cheers!
Jim

hobbler
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
In trying to find a conical for a .36 Remington nothing looked like it would work well. Now I have a hollow base conical mold made from a .375 round ball. The base plug is adjustable to vary the length. The diameter of the bullet behind the "ball" is slightly smaller so it slips into the chamber right up to where the ball would normally be sheared on the chamber mouth. It works.

Muley Gil
03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
You wear socks! That seems to be out of character for you. :)

Wael, I only started wearing socks about in the early '70s. Before that, we wuz so po', my momma would polish my feet and lace mah toes together.

Now that's po'!!!!

Southron Sr.
03-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Geeze, in 1971 I had already been to several Nationals and was a newly Wed!

Unfortunately, there are less and less "Old Timers" every year as time takes its toll.

Hang in there, keep your spiritis up and don't sweat the small stuff!

Muley Gil
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
"Geeze, in 1971 I had already been to several Nationals and was a newly Wed!"

I had shot in a couple of Nationals by 1971 as well. I hadn't yet begun to ruin my life with marriage though. :(