PDA

View Full Version : Leading in last 8th inch of a Henry barrel

MikeArthur
02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Teammate shot some undersized soft lead bullets with very little lube. Now we can\'t get the lead out of the very end of his barrel. Already tried quite a few bore cleaners and a lot of elbow grease. Thoughts ?Mike ArthurHampton Horse Artillery

ian45662
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Get you some kroil and let it sit in the barrel over night When you can get back to it use a brush a few times in the bore followed by a tight patch.. Repeat until lead is gone. If for some reason that does not work load up a few copper jacket bullets and fire them one at a time. After just a few rounds that should take it out

hp gregory
02-18-2013, 07:08 AM
i have heard of people using mercury to disolve lead in barrels. i have never tried it but some of the slug shooters at friendship used to fill their barrels with mercury. it would disolve the lead after a while and they would just poor it back into the can. this procedure goes way back in time when you could buy such chemicals. i doubt that you can purchase it today. its also very very nasty stuff to handle. but if you happen to have access to it and know how to handle it you might try it. but i would certainly read up on how to handle it before attempting it. its very dangerous stuff. but then again so it lead.

hp

Ron/The Old Reb
02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
The best stuff that I found to get copper and lead out is Barns CR10. You can get it from Midway USA. Read the directions and use it outside it has a very pungent smell.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-18-2013, 09:20 AM
I had the same issue. I went to the store and bought copper wool, not steel wool but copper wool. I found a old cleaning jag that was on its way out. Cut the copper wool and wrapped it around the brush, put it in the barrel and it cut out the fouling within a few minutes.

It took a few tries to get the right amount of copper wool on the brush, just don\'t use steel wool. Most Walmarts sell the copper wool

John Holland
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Joe, that\'s a very interesting application. Have you ever tried it on raised rust spots in a bore? A friend is working on the bore of a .69 caliber, 50 pound, scoped Civil War slug gun that has some raised rust spots in the bore that are being difficult to remove. I will pass this on to him.

JDH

FirinFlatTop
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I have used the copper chore boy that you can buy in most any food store. It un wraps and you may cut any size you need to fit the barrel. I use a bore brush with it wraped around it. Has worked great for me.

RC

marv762
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
had the same problem with my henry. used cva barrel blaster it is a gel that you just brush into the barrel and let it set for about five minutes and brush again. worked so good i did all my guns with it and the groups got a little tighter. you can get it at midway. good luck Marv

Des
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Brownells sells a tool for removing lead deposits in pistols. It is called a Lewis lead remover. It comes with in a kit and has short rods for a pistol but it should work on a rifle also using a longer rod. You would have to insert the rod down the bore then screw the tool onto the rod . Pull the rod back out and it has a copper mesh screen that wraps around an adjustable rubber plug that removes the lead as it passes down the bore. It sometimes takes a couple of passes to remove the lead. The kit that I have came with Copper mesh screens for 9mm/38 and another for 44/45.