PDA

View Full Version : Har ers /Fe ry Maynard nipple size

Bullseye54
02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Would anyone know what the thread size of the nipple/cone of a H/F..... Maynard is? I have gone thru 2 online dealers and both swore they had the correct one.. None that I received fit... The nipple that is installed now is way to small for a musket cap and to large for a 10 or 11 cap... A 5/16-18 not, 5/16-24 not.. The dia looks like 5/16.. but the thread pitch?? Any one have this problem before?
Another Question... Why do some nipplies have a small hole at the exit and some are wide open?? Concentrate the flame? What if the flame has to go around a bend or two?? ..
Thanks... Joe.... 15th CVI

Rich Foster
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Should be 5/16-24. I took the nipple out of my old HF (I do not shoot it any more although it shoots great) and screwed it right into my Miss. Hoyt barrel and original springfield barrel. As far as touch hole in bottom of nipple it depends on who makes them and whom they are making them for. Skirmisher nipples should have a small hole and a reenactor prefers a large hole. A vendor will give you either one unless you ask for a small hole nipple. Rich

Bullseye54
02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Think the Ampco Nip I had was marked wrong.. It is 5/16-18, but the bag said 5/16 24... Got another one today marked Springfield oversize with no thread size on bag, right in no problem... I must be getting old not to see the difference.. Thanks