PDA

View Full Version : Inspection label

Don Branch 12592
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I recently acquired a zoli zouave musket that still had a red label attached to the trigger guard that says "N-SSA Inspected 1974". Was this a precursor to a SAC card, a trigger pull check, or something else?

John Holland
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Don,

At one time all arms in the N-SSA were required to be annually inspected for trigger pull and half-cock. To prove that they had been so inspected and had passed the N-SSA's requirements they were issued a sticker with the year date on it. They were color coded so as to be easily recognizable from a distance. The inspections were done at the regional level by the elected regional Inspectors General. If your arm didn't have the sticker you were not allowed to use it until you got it inspected and had a tag put on it by the IG who performed the inspection. The trigger guard was the designted location fo the inspection tag. This inspection was separate from, and not related to, the SAC inspections.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Don Branch 12592
02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you John.

Southron Sr.
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
A good friend of mine STILL has the N-SSA inspection sticker dating from the 1970's on the triggerguard of his Zouave!

John Holland
02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, it has sort of become a "Status Symbol" with some of the older generation....and their grandchildren!

JDH

Southron Sr.
02-13-2013, 02:17 PM
OOPS!!! I took the Inspection Stickers off of my muskets after they "expired!" If I had only known back then that one day they would become "genuine collector items!"

Don Branch 12592
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
OOPS!!! I took the Inspection Stickers off of my muskets after they "expired!" If I had only known back then that one day they would become "genuine collector items!"

I would be happy to sell you a "Rare", "Vintage", "hard to find", "Seldom Seen", "Antique", 1974 :rolleyes: