PDA

View Full Version : 61 Springfield 2 band (artillery) project

SHARPS4953
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I just acquired an original 61 lock made in NY 1862, I want to make another skirmish gun but want a 2 bander. Im not finding to much info on the web on these rifles and a lot of folks say that most were Bannerman creations or rare Conf productions. Can anyone advise the dimensions for s N SSA legal 61 2 band. I have John Graf's book but It doesnt have any listed.

Thanks Scott
1st Maine

Southron Sr.
02-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Contact John Holland of the Small Arms Committee. He can provide you with the correct dimensions for a "sawed off" '61 Springfield.

W. Huffman
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Scott, please send me your email address and I will provide you with the info my address is sprng63 at yahoo . com

Wade
SAC Member

bilge water bob
02-15-2013, 05:12 AM
I have an old Yeck barrel for you, needs to be lined and sights. Let me know.

SHARPS4953
02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I have an old Yeck barrel for you, needs to be lined and sights. Let me know.

thanks anyway but I already purchased that exact barrel from lodgewood

Southron Sr.
03-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Just be aware that the Yeck barrels that had the breech section silver soldered on to the rear stub of the barrel would occasionally "blow."

This was caused by the hot gases created when the gun was fired would eat into the solder joint between the breech section and the barrel. Sooner or later, the gun would be fired and hot gases would blow out the wood behind the barrel bolster. I witnessed one of these events first hand back in the 1970's. Fortunately the shooter was wearing safety glasses and outside of some mile burns in his forehead and cheek, he was P.K.

The cure for this is to drill out the vent hole, then thread it and screw in a stainless steel vent liner. This keeps the hot gases from having access to the solder holding the breech section and barrel together.