PDA

View Full Version : Soap lube

Bullseye54
02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I was going to mix up some lube. For my minies and the smoothbore I just got.. What was the lube that someone madeup that used a soap Neutra or something like that??I bought some lube on line that is marked "Liquid Alox" for cast bullets by white label lube in Arizona... Do you think this is the same as lee Alox?? 11. bucks for 32 oz.

Lou Lou Lou
02-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Joe

Some folks use Alox on the round balls and them dip them is something else.
I seem to remember that Alox doesnt do well with Black Powder.

FWIW Some folks use Beeswax and a softer agent like olive oil For a non petroleum base lube. Others add Synthetic motor oil to the bees wax. Look up Lube threads in the search engine for the %. Most start around 50/50

Lou

Rich Foster
02-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I only use a light coat of liquid xlox from White Label in and only in my smoothbore. Never tried the Liquid Alox from Lee because it is so much expensive. White label brand has a tendency to thicken up as longer you keep it. When that happens just add some mineral spirits to it to thin it back out. Of course if your just using just liquid alox with your smoothy you should be using fff swiss powder and fouling should not be a problem. Rich

kowdok
02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I had used a lube (for muskets, etc - not smoothbores) that was a recipe of beeswax, neatsfoot oil, and neutrogena soap (facial bar). I liked it the first time or two I made it, but the last time, it made a mess, had to get really hot to melt, was "stringy" and seemed like the glycerin was not melting right or something. I don't know if I did something wrong or if the soap had changed its formula, or what, but we decided not to make it anymore. If anyone else uses that formula and has input about it, I would love to hear. :)

Kowdok's wife

Bullseye54
02-10-2013, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=kowdok;28868]I had used a lube (for muskets, etc - not smoothbores) that was a recipe of beeswax, neatsfoot oil, and neutrogena soap (facial bar). I liked it the first time or two I made it, but the last time, it made a mess, had to get really hot to melt, was "stringy" and seemed like the glycerin was not melting right or something. I don't know if I did something wrong or if the soap had changed its formula, or what, but we decided not to make it anymore. If anyone else uses that formula and has input about it, I would love to hear. :)

Thanks, thats the one I heard about.. Maybe I will substitute olive oil or bore butter instead of neats foot.. used to have bees so I have a supple of wax still..
Thanks again

RaiderANV
02-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Bees wax/ Crisco 50/50 mix or Tad more bees wax if you want to tighten it up

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Lube huh? You guys keep this up and Lefty will wake up and you know how that can get.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Maillemaker
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I use Lee Alox to tumble-lube bullets for my .45 ACP.

Some folks have mixed it in with traditional Crisco/Beeswax lube.

For Minnie balls, I use Crisco/Beeswax, and you can alter the ratio to make it as gooey as you want.

I know folks who coat their round balls for smoothbores in Lee Alox.

Steve