PDA

View Full Version : Identify Remington Model 1868

yulzari
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello, before anyone starts I am well aware any evidence of troops using the 1868 Remington is questionable.

I was directed here to seek an identification of a cheap Model 1863 Remington Rifle Musket that I have recently bought. It bears the Gaderone BP proof marks and the date marks for 1980.

I cannot trace the manufacturer. Here is a photograph of the makers mark and another of the lock. The lock works fine but half cock is about 2mm off the nipple so I will have to add metal to the half cock notch or possibly the sear tip. The stock is beech with a 2 part forearm joining under the rear barrel band.

My thanks for any assistance.

John Holland
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Yulzari - Welcome to the N-SSA's bulletin board!

I'm sure you meant the Model 1863 Remington. It has been a long time since I've seen lock internals like those, and I just don't remember their origin. I would have said Spanish or Korean, but not with Italian Gardonne date marks.

I do not have any information on the makers mark in the photo. I would like to know the answer myself as to who the actual manufacturer is. Perhaps someone will be able to identify it for us!

Anybody?

John Holland

yulzari
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Apologies. Today has been a day of finger trouble and brain fade. My only excuse is suffering from being hard of thinking.

Blair
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
I would say it is Spanish made by looking at the lock internals.

One thing you may want to check... remove the ramrod and see if the nose cap is held in place with a screw on the outside instead of from the barrel channel side. Then remove the screw and see if the screw hole is drilled into the bore of the barrel.
This is how they kept the two part stock from separating.

yulzari
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
The nose cap is held in place by a screw into the barrel. The barrel is marked 'made in Italy'.

RaiderANV
02-08-2013, 09:46 PM
That is a Spainish made lock.

yulzari
02-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Hmm... So who would make a beech 2 piece stocked Remington with an Italian barrel and a Spanish lock?

If it helps these are the makers of 1863 Remington reproductions I have noted. This is not exhaustive and there will be some overlap as some names are importers rather than makers.

Hy Hunter, A. Zoli, Ranson Italia, V. Bernadelli, Armisport, Euroarms (in the early days they bought them in from another Brescia maker), Armi Jager, Miroku, Dikar, Uberti, Ultra Hi, DART, PR and Navy Arms.