PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #55 powder measure vs. Classic Black Powder measure?

Maillemaker
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
So Lyman says not to use their Lyman #55 powder measure for black powder, you should use the #55 Classic Black Powder measure.

The black powder one is $140, the other one is $83. The one for black powder is made with aluminum and brass parts:

"The Lyman #55 Classic Black Powder Measure is a redesign of the #55 powder measure. It is a must have for blackpowder cartridge silhouette and cowboy action shooters. The internal metering bars rotate in a non-sparking brass sleeve while a large non-static aluminum powder reservoir holds a pound of blackpowder."

I know that Goex is now shipping in plastic containers, so static must not be much of an issue.

What do you guys think? I've heard a lot of you are using the cheaper one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/677653/lyman-55-classic-black-powder-measure-with-24-drop-tube

Steve

iron brigade
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
believe it or not i use a Lee shot shell loader. the bushings work perfect for black powder loads. and is quite accurate at dropping the correct charges. who woulda thunk?

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
02-06-2013, 08:10 PM
I have been using the Lyman 55 for black powder for 47 years. To date I have had no problems other than after I use it I take the brass drum out and I clean it. If I do not clean it has a tendency to stick and not dump the same charge nex time I use it.

As far as plastic being a problem - Swiss Black powder comes in a plastic container, Goex comes in a plastic bag if you buy 25 pounds. If you are worried about having an explosion while loading black powder I would suggest that you do not smoke or do it close to an open flame & you will be fine.:D

Joe Plakis Jr
Hampton Legion 00302V

Rich Foster
02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I have used lyman 55, RCBS and Lyman blackpowder measure. No problem with any. Been shirmishing for 35 years. Can't tell you how many pounds of powder went through them. If you want to get a better price for lyman blackpowder measure go to OPTICSPLANET and they have it for 114.00 without extended drop tubes. Don't let $40.00 worry you over an explosion. Rich Foster

Fred Jr
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I've used several 55s for about 40 years. Never had a problem. They do corrode if you don't keep them clean after you use them. I have a couple for sale if any one needs one!

Fred

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
If you want to buy one look at Graf & Sons http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/10536/inline/1
They are $80.99 and that includes shipping.

Joe Plakis Jr 00302V
Hampton Legion

Maillemaker
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
If you want to buy one look at Graf & Sons http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product...10536/inline/1 (http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/10536/inline/1)
They are $80.99 and that includes shipping.

That looks to be the non-black powder version.

Steve

Bullseye54
02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Bought mine from Midway on sale awile back... I trust the experts .. If they say not for B/P they mean it for a reason... Is 25 /40. bucks worth the damage that could happen? If something can go wrong, it will sooner or later...

John Holland
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I have used the old style Orange colored Lyman 55 powder droppers for black powder (BP) loading for over 50 years and have never experienced any problems with static situations. I have seen smokless powders "cling" to the sides of the plastic hopper, but never BP. Like Joe Plakis Jr. said, you do have to keep the drum and cast iron assemblies clean after use. This is because the nearly invisible remaining BP dust will draw moisture and cause the whole thing to sieze up, with the cast iron drop section actually rusting after a time period. I have watched for the Lyman 55 at every little rinkey-dink gun show I have ever gone to and purchased them when they were cheap. I just bought another one last weekend for $20.

My ever patient wife asked me one time years ago why I had so many Lyman 55 droppers. I explained that I have one set up for everything I load for. I received the usual long suffering "Oh, OK." That was until she was allowed to become a skirmisher and began competing in all N-SSA shooting disciplines. I cheerfully dug into my reserve of Lyman 55 droppers and set one up for every arm she was loading for. Yes, she does her own casting and loading! After experiencing the ease of just changing droppers for the next load, instead of changing the dropper itself, she said "I sure am glad you bought all those powder droppers!"

JDH

Rich Foster
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
GO TO http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-55-classic-black-powder-measure.html and they have the lyman 55 blackpowder measure for 114.99 it comes with drop tube as the regular #55 plus alot of other gun related products on there site. I bought my spotting scope through them. Rich

tonyb
03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
I've put 50lbs of BP through my RCBS Uniflow no problems but you have to keep it clean after each use.

macvcallsign
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
I have been using the standard Lyman #55 measure for black powder since 1974 when I started Skirmishing and have never had a problem. I pick them up at gun shows for $15 to $35.00 used and like Mr. Holland use them for different loads. The only maintenance I do is clean them at the end of the shooting season. I found no need to clean them after each use since I use them almost weekly.

Dennis Schuler
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Paul Lampman 263V
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I think that you'll find that a very large percentage of BP run thru a powder measure over the past century has been thru a 55 or earlier variant as well as most other types of measures. I have several 55s with boxes that state "For All Powders" and they are from over several decades. Do a search and see if you can find evidence of any powder measure "exploding" while using BP due to static electricity. Can it happen? Yes. Never say never. But based on information available and there's a lot of it, you are more likely to get hit by lighting while in the shower sipping a mint julip, singing "Maria" and using Herbal Essence strawberry scented shampoo. Those odds ought to be pretty long but just to be safe I sing "Jail House Rock" sometimes.

Bob Lintner
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm still partial to my ancient Belding & Mull.

Bullseye54
04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
And anybody with the luck of the Irish, like me.. Shouldn't take a chance.. Maybe it is from working with aircraft, but if you want to be 100% safe listen to the people that desighn it, you want to take a chance, buy a lottery ticket..

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
04-20-2013, 08:12 AM
I've used my RCBS Uniflow with black podwer since 1985. I have heard more credidible Elvis sitings than accident reports from powder measures blowing up. I'll never say never, but I'm still waiting for the first incident report.

Ron/The Old Reb
04-20-2013, 08:37 AM
When I first started reloading back in the 1960's I bought a Lyman#55 power measure. It would never through a consent load. At one point it drooped some squib loads with out me knowing. I went to the range to shoot my 99 Savage, when I fired the squib load the bullet stuck about half way down the barrel. Luckily I did not chamber another round and fire it again. After beating the hell out of the bullet I finley got it out. I then promptly took the Lyman#55 and drooped in in the garbage can and went and bought a Ballding and Mull and have been using it ever since.

jonk
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
The idea that static can set off BP is a myth. Google it, and you'll see a guy zapping black powder with 50,000 volts with no issue.

To set it off, you need heat. Grinding the powder between two surfaces could do it, and in that regard supposed black powder measures are no better than standard. Go slow, if you feel it bind, don't force it.

I personally use a cheapo Lee perfect powder measure. No metal anywhere to grind anything. Works great.

Eggman
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Some old ground, an interesting experiment, and a risky conclusion. More study needed.

Pat in Virginia
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
How reasonable is your insurance company? Are they the kind that looks for a reason not to pay? If you are using a powder measure that the manufacturer has stated is not for black powder and you do have a problem will they accuse you of gross negligence and disallow your claim for what ever misfortune may have occurred?

A long time ago I sent my #55 back to the place where I purchased it on the grounds the mfg. stated in the manual it was not for BP and had them send me the one the mfg, Lyman, said was okay. They did just that even though they were selling the #55 for BP use. I did that purely based on concerns about my insurance if something bad did happen.

Buffalo Arms sells a brass hopper to work on the #55 for $29 unthreaded and $33 threaded. Would that satisfy the kind of insurance company that looks for ways not to pay claims? I doubt it.

Regarding plastic container, not all plastic is created equal. Some is specifically designed not to carry an electric charge. That is what the powder companies use. How bad could it get? Believe you me, they don't want to get sued should an explosion occur. That's known as you bet your company. What we are talking about is you bet your .... I once was a Marine. I was willing to play that game under the right circumstances.

Think about it. I have no idea whether any claim has ever ever been rejected based on my concern. I just didn't want to be the first if my house were to burn down. I didn't want to be operating the measure if it did let go. Have you noticed that Harrel makes special measures for BP as well. I wonder why?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this can get very serious. Why did the powder monkeys on the sailing ships have to wear felt slippers when they went into the powder magazine? Anybody have any idea about how careful they were in the battleships of WW II vintage regarding static electricity? I believe they may have used BP to set off the main charges in the main turrets.

Again, I really hate to drag out a wet blanket.