PDA

View Full Version : 1860 Henry

grabenkater
02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Looking for a 1860 Henry, caliber does not matter. Please email BrenMk1@gmail.com

RSiegel
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Remember, unless you are buying an original Henry, the sale of a reproduction Henry must go through a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer. Exception is if the buyer and seller live in the same state and the sale is done in the state, going through an FFL is not required.

Face to face sale of a rifle must go through an FFL unless being sold as stated above.

Maillemaker
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
I was confused by your second line. If it's "face to face" isn't it pretty much by definition an in-state sale? I think you meant "private sales".

Steve

John Holland
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Rich Siegel - Do you now work for the BATFE? If so, I've got some questions for you.

JDH

RSiegel
02-02-2013, 08:02 AM
John,

A face to face sale must have two criteria;

1. Both buyer and seller must reside in the same state

2. The sale must take place in the state the buyer an seller reside in

I'm a retired US Customs Special Agent (now called ICE) but after 28 years, I've gotten to know a little about ATF Federal laws so please ask away or e-mail me at blackdog5070@yahoo.com.

Rich

John Holland
02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Thank you Rich. You seemed to be better versed on the topic, that's why I asked.

One of my questions is: Have you had the opportunity to read the newly passed NY State restrictive anti gun law? And if so, with your background in governmental language and legalese, are you able to understand it?

If you are able to decipher said document into common language, another question is: Where does ownership of the reproduction 1860 Henry Rifle stand in the new NYS law?

John

Pohill
02-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I live in MA. I buy most of my guns in Maine. The store in Maine (Kittery Trading Post) will sell me any modern long gun or shotgun with just a background check. If it is an antique or reproduction of a long gun that uses a cartridge (Gallagher, Trapdoor), they will also do a background check. If it is a muzzleloader long gun or revolver, original or repro, they do not require a background check. If it is a cartridge revolver of any kind, modern/antique/repro), they won't even talk to me.
They will sell me a Henry, modern or repro, with just a background check and no FFL transfer.

That is also the policy of Cabelas in Maine. But, neither store will ship any kind of gun to me in MA, or to my FFL in MA, not even an antique or repro longun that doesn't require a background check.

hennigm4
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Check SASS website. And be sure to do your own research on purchasing, every state is different....

RSiegel
02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
John,

Living up in Maine, I haven't read the New York. I'm not an attorney and would probably as confused as you. I just have experience and training on certain Federal Laws but now you have me curious about the NY law. I'll try to read it.
Rich

RSiegel
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
John,

In the definition section of NY law section 265, an assault rifle has an exception in paragraph g, sub-paragraph i if the rifle is a lever action. I would assume this covers the Henry repros as well as the model 1873. Both guns can be loaded with over 10 rounds of ammunition. I think however, if the magazine tube is modified to take more rounds, say by adding an extension, this may make the arm illegial. I think it would be a good idea to write the Attorney General of NY for a definite answer.

Just as an aside, when I was working in Customs and the Federal assault rifle ban was enacted, Customs attornys, who knew nothing about guns, prohibited the importation of Uberti Henrys and 1873 Win. saying they were assault weapons that could be loaded with over 10 rounds of ammo. It took about six months to make them change their minds by firearms importers. Laws are written in such a way that even government attorneys can't understand them.

Rich

John Holland
02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Rich,

Thank you for the reply, and I remember full well the fiasco with the reproductions of the Henry Rifle and 1873 Winchester. But, as I read the NY law they are only alowed if they are antiques, with reproductions being not allowed because they are new manufacture. In addition the way I understand the tube magazine part, only .22 caliber is allowed.

Sadly, the very people who are responsible for this don't know how to interpret it. Our local representatives have not yet received a response from the NY Att'y General regarding clarifications to the new law.

I am from Pennsylvania....I have no problem being FROM New York State, too!

John

grabenkater
02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Interesting...I posted a want ad for a rifle and I get a bucket full of free advice. :(

John Holland
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I apologoize for my part in "hi-jacking" your thread. With the current anti-gun legislation it looks like no one is willing to part with their "Henry Assault Rifles" at this time. :D

JDH

Lou Lou Lou
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Sent you a PM

Eggman
02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Hello Grab,
My advice would be to order a new Spencer carbine in .56 50 cal from Dixie Gun Works. Since it only has a seven round magazine we would expect that Cuomo's gestapo would not bother you when you head to New York for a skirmish, that is after you become an N-SSA member.
Jim Van Eldik
Iredell Blues

grabenkater
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Mr. Eggman,

I appreciate the advice, I would most definately love to own a Spencer. However, I seriously doubt that I will ever travel to New York in the near future, especially with the likes of Cumo and Bloomberg holding office. I will do everything in my power to not spend a red cent supporting New York.

bilge water bob
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
mr. Eggman,i appreciate the advice, i would most definately love to own a spencer. However, i seriously doubt that i will ever travel to new york in the near future, especially with the likes of cumo and bloomberg holding office. I will do everything in my power to not spend a red cent supporting new york. ah men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!