PDA

View Full Version : De-farbed Armi Sport Enfields!!!

Southron Sr.
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Armi Sport is now advertising de-farbed Enfields on their website.

Presumably, since they are the same as their regular "Apporved" Enfields, the de-farbed Enfields are legal to shoot in Skirmishes.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2614/spec

Anybody seen one and can comment on what the markings on the lockplate and stock are?

THANKS!!!

Jim_Burgess_2078V
01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
De-farbed arms are still subject to SAC inspection and approval per Rule 14.7.1.f. You will have to get a card for one of these arms unless they are given specific production approval by the Board. At least that is my understanding of the rules. Check with John Holland to confirm.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

John Holland
01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Jim, you are correct. To date the only "Defarbed" arm given Production Approval by the N-SSA is the ArmiSport Chiappa Sesquicentennial Model 1842 Musket with either the Springfield, or Harper's Ferry lock plate.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Maillemaker
01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
I thought the new "defarbed" Pedersolies were N-SSA approved?

Steve

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
I guess you can tell if they are new, but how could you confirrm the maker? The Chiappa Armi-Sport M1842s for that matter.

Maillemaker
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
I guess you can tell if they are new, but how could you confirrm the maker? The Chiappa Armi-Sport M1842s for that matter.

"Defarb" is probably a relative term here. With the Pedersoli guns, they have, by law, modern manufacturer markings on the barrel. I suspect the Armisport will be the same way.

What I think they mean here by "defarb" is many of the incorrect features of previous generations of reproductions are being fixed.

The Pedersoli Enfield has:
BSAT cartouche on stock
Period proof marks on barrel
Correct Palmer-style barrel bands
Correct sling hardware
Correct lock washers
Correct lock markings
Correct weight

You can't see much detail on the Armisport picture, but it appears that they at least have Palmer-style barrel bands, though they appear to be color case hardened looking rather than blued as they should be.

Steve

Maillemaker
01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
This has made me think of something else. Exactly how much of a change can a manufacturer make to an existing product line before it needs to be re-approved by the N-SSA?

It seems strange to me that it would need new approval for putting different barrel bands on it, for example.

Steve

John Holland
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
The new Pedersoli arms are not "Defarbed".

As for the Production Approval of any arm, anytime the arm deviates from the configuration in which it was originally manufactured and submitted to the N-SSA for said Production Approval, such Production Approval is subject to revocation, or resubmittal.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Maillemaker
01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
The new Pedersoli arms are not "Defarbed".

I doubt the new Armisport ones are, either, but that is what they are calling them. What they probably mean is that they have made authenticity improvements, trying to catch up to Pedersoli.

Steve