PDA

View Full Version : 1829 French Musketoon

B-Davis
01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Is there any information out there regarding the 1829 French Musketoon? I know that it is 70 caliber, and has 4 lands and grooves. I believe they have rear sights graduated to 600 meters. Other than that, I know very little about them.
I am aware that there were many diffrent types of Europen firearms imported during the war, is there any documentation/evidence that these were imported for use by either the Union or Confederate troops? Has anyone ever shot one? If so, how do they shoot?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks for any info. you may have!

Richard Hill
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
There's a Mousqueton D'Artillerie Modele 1829, but it was originally a .71 caliber smoothbore with no rear sight. I haven't seen any evidence of these being imported for the war by either the US or CSA.

B-Davis
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Thank you. I had seen that. Apparently these were refitted with a 70 cal. rifled barrel, and given bayonet studs, converted to percussion, and given rear sights sometime in the 1850's. I was curious as to wether they might have been imported to the mainland for the use by troops on either side. That is where I am having troubles....
I looks like a fun little carbine to shoot!

R Filbert
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Try Springfield armory- They sometimes have info on french conversions- I have 2 1822 flint to percussion french muskets that were twice converted -once from flint to percussion and then shortend 2 inches- I believe they were shortend at the breach. On this type they say 44,000 were imported by the North and unsure of the South.