PDA

View Full Version : Vests

REDMAN
01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
When I shoot I always wear a vest. It seems that my Henry, which has a pointed lower butt plate eventually wears a hole in the lower right shoulder corner (more in the pectoral muscle) that increases in size over time. I'm tired of buying a new vest every couple of years. I was wondering if it is legal to put a thin leather patch over the hole to extend the life of the vest or would this be considered illegal. Inquiring minds want to know.

Glenn Rohde (Redman) 7483V
Tammany Regt
42nd N.Y.V.I.

Mike McDaniel
01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I took a look through Sections 9 and 20 of the Skirmish Rules, I don't see anything against it. Especially as you would be making a repair of a piece of uniform, not adding padding or anything of that sort.

REDMAN
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Thats what I thought. I just don't want to do it if it is going to be a problem.

John Holland
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I would ask the IG, the Rules Committee, and/or the Uniform Committee for a ruling in writing. It could possibly save you some hassle on the line of dealing with a lesser informed individual.

Just my thoughts.

JDH

Fearless Frank
01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
But you still can't wear shorts at the Spring Nationals.

Lou Lou Lou
01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Yes. He can, as he is working the Nationals. My two cents.

Fearless Frank
01-23-2013, 07:35 PM
What's the tax in New York on your two cents?

W. Huffman
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Dear Redman, allow me to discuss this issue with the Rules Committe Chairman at the Board meeting this weekend and I will send you a message with our answer.

Wade Huffman
National IG

dennis g
01-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Aaah jeez Wade,
I hope they don't outlaw patches on pants.
Pinky

Rich Foster
01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
A cloth pad (not a commercially made recoil pad) sewn inside of a shirt or even a vest is N-SSA legal as long as it is not visibly exposed. Rich Foster

Lou Lou Lou
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
What about leather?

Rich Foster
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I do not know. Somebody has to read the exact wording of bylaw. I do not have it. I do know you can take a raw cloth folded up and sew it into the inside of a shirt. I have never done it yet but i always think about it when I shoot my Henry and I stick a small towel over my shoulder under my shirt so the buttplate does not tear me up. Rich

John Holland
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
If you want to read the By-Laws, Policies, and Rules, they are available online at the N-SSA home page. To get to the N-SSA homepage quickly, just click in the Blue Field at the top of this, or any other, page. Once you are on the home page go to the tab: "About the N-SSA", click on it and you will get a dropdown with a tab that says "Rules & Forms", click on it and the window that opens will have everything listed for your convenience, just click on whatever you want to read.

Or, http://www.n-ssa.org/about-the-n-ssa/rules-and-forms.html will get you there in one click!

John Holland
BB Moderator

Rich Foster
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you John. Bylaw 22.18 does not specifly material but it says shoulder pads may be placed INSIDE of clothing were it is not visible and only used for protection. Shooting jackets are not allowed. So if you are sewing something in the position where the butt of the gun would go and it resembles a shooting pad and is used to protect your shoulder it cannot be visible.Rich

Maillemaker
01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for digging it out, Rich.

Sounds like for the OP he could put a patch inside his vest but not on the outside. Which isn't really going to help protect the vest but at least it might stop the hole from growing.

Steve

W. Huffman
02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Redman please read my pm

Wade
National IG