PDA

View Full Version : WTB Smith or Spencer Carbine! Help please!

Civilwarreenacting1
01-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I need to purchase a smith or spencer carbine relatively soon. I am looking for a replica to use with my cavalry group (I'm a reenactor). I have been looking for a long time and can't find the right one so if you are willing to sell or even know where I can purchase a used smith or spencer please let me know! My many thanks- Pvt. Matthew Gravely Contact me at Britishman2010@gmail.com

Civilwarreenacting1
01-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Any one have and replica to offer

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
01-18-2013, 07:15 PM
So what would constitute "the right one"?

Civilwarreenacting1
01-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Just one that isn't in horrible shape and that the seller doesn't want a mint for it

bobanderson
01-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Just one that isn't in horrible shape and that the seller doesn't want a mint for it

Yup! That's pretty much my definition of the "right one".

R. McAuley 3014V
01-19-2013, 11:31 AM
So Matt, how many of your fellow troopers are carrying Spencers? I ask because I know from personal experience how heavy a Spencer is versus a Smith or Sharps, and also having carried each while mounted at a trot and gallop, just how painful they were when they slammed up against your knee. This was especially true when formed in platoon by fours, the hammers on the Sharps, for example, always point outward. As for carrying a Smith, if your Smith has any chuckle in the action, it will only get worse using one mounted. The Spencer is (well, to put it plainly) a boat anchor! Still, by large, the Sharps was the easiest to carry mounted, especially slinging it back over your shoulder when you prepare to mount, otherwise, you will find it suddenly occupying your saddle as you go head first over the other side. Of course, if you belong to a "dismounted" unit, carry what you like.

A former trooper serving under Lt (now Col) Roger Ragland's 2nd Florida Cavlary, U.S. and Col Karl Luthin's 7th Illinois Cavalry, 1985-93

http://kelequineproductions.com/

Civilwarreenacting1
01-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't like sharps carbine because I refuse to roll the blanks (have to roll Enough for infantry as it is) and when i used one I thought it was a little cumbersome. Also I have used a spencer on horse back and while they are very heavy and expensive I think they are an all around nice weapon and worked great on horse back for me. Also most of the guys in my unit have smith carbines 2 has a spencer and 2 have a Sharps. Thanks