PDA

View Full Version : Original hammer on a '61 Euroarms Springfield?

Steve Blancard
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Can anyone tell me the size of the square end of a Euroarms '61 Springfield tumbler and the size of an original hammer's square hole?

What I'm getting at is will an original hammer go on a Euroarms lock :?:

I've got a project in mind and am trying to think through the potential problem areas. Thanks

Southron Sr.
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Sevaral years ago,I purchased a repro Special Model 1861 from Chattahoochee Arms on Sutlers Row at the Spring Nationals. Then I went down to S & S's booth and purchased an original Special Model 1861 hammer.

It took about 30 seconds to install the original hammer on the Chattahoochee repro-the fit was perfect.

That being said, I have no way of knowing if an original hammer would fit on a specific repro 1861. You might have to get an original tumbler and and install it in the repro 61's lock to get the hammer to fit, etc. Regardless, I think with a little ingenuity and gunsmithing you could probably get an original '61 hammer to fit on that repro IF the dimensions between the parts are a little off.

Steve Blancard
03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
If I recall correctly, the Colt 1861 Specials were made by Armisport. It's good to hear they were true to original specs on the tumbler. Between the Armisport and Euroarms 1861 Springfields, I think the Euroarms is a little better quality, so that's the version I've been thinking about. But I've not comitted to one or the other.

The project I have in mind will not be using the repro barrel, but will require a hammer change. The question still remains about the square hole sizes :?