PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Maynard Cases

Charlie Hahn
03-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I am pondering another project in an effort to produce a lower cost case for Maynard use. Has anyone used an aluminum case? If so, what was your experience?

I am aware of drawn cases from aluminum being used in larger weapon systems, as well as machined items. I have also worked with cartridge cases that can reloaded produced from aluminum alloy. I believe our lower pressure systems would have a good fit provided the correct alloy is used. It will also offer a lower material cost.

In any case, any comments are welcomed

Thanks,

Charlie Hahn

RangerFrog
03-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Charlie,

I have no experience with this at all, having just acquired my first percussion Maynard, but having just priced the additional brass I will need to buy to campaign it, I would be most interested in hearing about your progress at finding a less expensive way to do it. Are you thinking of making full capacity or reduced capacity cases?

Froggie

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Have you given any thought to corrosion?

John Bly
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Charlie, Some years ago when the price of brass was high, someone was selling aluminum Smith cases. I bought 50 of them. I've shot them for over 15 years and they are still good. I thought the flash holes would burn out quickly, but they have not. Alum. Maynard cases should work OK.
Probably 6061-T651 would be the 1st choice, but you may want to look at the new super corrosion resistant grade 6013 or 6020. They are both as strong or stronger than 6061, easy to machine, and more corrosion resistant than 6061. They might not be cheaper. All three of these grades are stronger than the brass used in the ones available now. Corrosion will not be a problem if the cases are cleaned in a timely manner after shooting. That's my opinion and it's worth just what you paid for it. John Bly 5109V

Charlie Hahn
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the comments,

I am considering several alloys, and 6000 series is high on the list. I also am planning to anodize the cases to make them last longer. I have used this in the past on high pressure applications, and have had good results.

I plan to produce two case configurations one reduced, and one full capacity. Both will have internal locking features to hold the bullet in the case to provide preloading. I have observed many cases where the bullet comes out in your cartridge box and others who get varied ignition due to different bullet retention.

The reduce case will have a shoulder modification that will allow the bullet seating without crushing powder on shoulder as they are now.

I will have a few beta samples soon, and will plan some limited field testing, with cases being offered in the Fall of 09.

Thanks to all who commented.

Charlie

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
03-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I would be very interested, especially if the price is lower than the brass cases. If you are looking for some to try them out, I am interested.

RaiderANV
03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a bunch of heavily used aluminum Maynard cases made in the 80's and they still look the same as when they were made. They are all the reduced size cases.

Charlie Hahn
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
PJ, how did you clean them all this time? I am looking at the reaction of the residue, time, and cleaning solutions. I know that 5000 series aluminum does not like any salts and will pit. The amount of carbon left behind when taken into solution with the soaps or other cleaning items can have some issues. I have seen some brass that when left uncleaned and in a moist environment produce stress cracks that follow the grain structure of the base material. I ahve some samples in a salt fog now to see if I get this type or etching. Any photos of the area where the case transitions from thick to thin, would help,as well as the touch hole

Thanks

Charlie

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Maybe you can rethink the aluminum and find out where the old forming dies went that made these from 30-06 brass. I got them in the 70's from a sutler, but don't remember who.

58 minnie
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I got mine from rick schmit dad 15 years ago and still shoot them,
ill bring two to nationals for you :roll:

Lou Lou Lou
03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I shot aluminum cases for over 20 years and used " Dip it" Coffee pot cleaner.
Put 'em in an old pot add water and a tablespoon of Dip it and boil 'em clean. Depends on the quality of the aluminum case

Charlie Hahn
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Well I took the plunge, and I have the new lathe installed. I will offering cases in several configurations. What I plan to do is also offer custom bullet inside diameter for those who use odd diameter bullets. For those interested in this I will make any case for a buck, 100 minimum you supply the material, either 360 brass or 6061T6 aluminum. Material has to be 3/4 inch diameter, and have certification. Anyone who might be interested stop by the booth at the National and we can discuss. I will also be making cases to both full and reduced capacity for those who do not want to deal with material purchase, price TBD.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

RaiderANV
04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry Charlie,,,I never saw your question above to me. I only ever used whatever soap was behind the sink and washed them( just shook them areound a bit in a container) in hot soapy water then rinsed and let air dry. I'll bring a few of them to the Nationals fer ya ta ponder.