PDA

View Full Version : Regulations on 1841 mississippi rifle

jek279
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
What modifications can be done to the 1841 Mississippi rifle and still pass NSSA regulations. Here is one possibility. A .54cal bore, savor bayonet lug on the side with no guide before the lug. An 1855 front sight and a Benton rear sight, or a long range 500 yard later reproduction sight.

John Holland
12-31-2012, 08:25 PM
jek279,

Email me direct at this email address jh44ny @ verizon.net and I will assist you with your Mississippi questions.

John Holland
Chairman, N-SSA Small Arms Committee

jek279
01-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Here's the verdict. I looked in specs book and it looks like you don't have a ton of rear sight options without doing a major overhaul on the rifle. The Drake conversion has no bayonet lug, a springfield type front sight and a Zouave style rear sight and a long type front band. The benton would require changing the front band to the short type, changing the front sight back to the brass blad type, adding a bayonet lug. The long range 1855 style sight would also require those same adjustments.

ms3635v
01-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I am in the process of working on a Drake conversion with the help and suggestions of John Holland and Blair. So far, the process has been painless and I should have it ready for a SAC inspection at the Spring Nationals. If you need photos of the Drake conversion (also referred to as a "G" type conversion) pm me and I will send you photos.

Blair
01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
There are at least two basic "Drake" alteration/variations within the M-1841's for use of a socket bayonet.
When solecting the variation one may want... one needs to have access to the type of socket bayonet planned for the alteration/variation, and make plans in advance for that alteration/variation for doing the work required.
Just a thought on my part.

jek279
01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I have the drake socket bayonet. Number on bayonet is G 43. The issue I have is getting rid of the 1972 Gold Rush lock plate for something more original. I see "The Rifle Shop" has parts. Would these be except able to use. Original parts can be $400 plus. What about blockade runner. They have a defarbed gun. Would they have a lock that would work on my gun? If so, where do they get their lock plates?

Blair
01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
jek279,

What markings do you want?

My suggestion to you within the N-SSA is to get the measured logistics correct first then look to the markings.

jek279
01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
John holland sent me the spec sheet. Plus I have had this gun completely reworked. It specs out and would be approved by the N-ssa. So, that is where I am at. The lock plate is where I am focusing, that and a possible scabboard for it. Any ideas?