PDA

View Full Version : Carbine bullet filler

danajhanson
12-23-2012, 11:05 AM
The topic of wads came up on another thread...got me thinking? Has anyone had any luck using felt wads (lubed or dry) in a Smith or Maynard load, instead of COW filler? Seems like wads would be easier to deal with, instead of trying to weigh out/ measure out COWDJH

ian45662
12-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I use wads in my 45/70. Big difference between what you want to do and what I am doing with them is distance. I shoot the 45/70 alost farther than the distance we shoot at in the n-ssa. I say this because I have to be super careful to get all the lube of the base of the bullet so that the wad does not stick to the bullet on its way down range. I am not sure if it would make much difference at 50 and 100 yards but it does at the distances I shoot the 45. Its worth a try but I also use filler when making rounds for the smith and I use those lee scoopers to get the ammount I want. Any idea how thick of a wad you would like? Buffalo arms sell not only wads of different thicknesses but they also sell the tools to make your own. I have made wads out of cardboard milk cartons. https://www.buffaloarms.com/wads_pr-3755.aspx https://www.buffaloarms.com/wad_punches_pr-3756.aspx

RaiderANV
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Dana,,,,,,,,what case and load are they trying to use?

danajhanson
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Full cap. Maynard brass and full cap Smith black plastic tubes...

RaiderANV
12-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Full cap. case shooters generally use 35 grains of3f and you don't need filler. I tried that many many moons ago but figured wasn't no since in beatin' myself up with the kick and went to reduced at 21 grains of 3f. Over the years I've played with every combination and never used filler and always great results. Full cap. from 27 to 38 and reduced cases from 21 to 27. There may be guys using fillers somewhere and swearing by their loads. Not saying they might be some combination that works also.....just saying you don't need it.

RaiderANV
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Hillman...........got ah-lil carried away that. The above refers to MMAYNARD. Even many more moons ago(per finding GOD and he enlightening me to his one true carbine) I shoot an original Smyth and used the old nylon cases with the rivet and 35 of 3f. I tried more and less without filler and all shot well w/o filler. I only settled for35 as everyone on the team in the early 80s shot the same load they they convinced me if I ran out of rounds on the line you could use anyones. Didn't make since to me as my Enfield carbine box would hold 50 rounds. But I went along that time. =)

danajhanson
12-24-2012, 02:35 PM
So, if I understand you...filler is not very important...How do you assure the bullet is seated properly...so it does not "jump" into the rifling of the barrel? Wouldn't the filler assure the proper length of the bullet in the chamber?

RaiderANV
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
That's what I'ma saying...........no filler. Back in1984 and again in1995 I played with 30 different bullets, full and reduced cases and every powder charge you could use in them. My favorite load is 21 grains of 3f Goes in reduced cases. At some point in 2009 this crazy notion crossed my mind that the round was an eight inch short of the rifling with the action closed. Started thinking that jump to light speed had to be doing something negative. Keep in mind before said thought crossed my mind said Maynard was cutting one ragged inch group at 50 yards in a machine rest. Anyway I measured the round and tried filler first then just bumped it to 27 grains to get my length. ALL I did was waste 6 grains of powder as nothing changed. I had to fire rounds I'd closed the action on since I couldn't pull them out.In the end I figured it was the Devil jus' messin' with my mind so I cut it back to 21 grains, hit the confessional and GOD's own carbine has been running targets like he promised!

danajhanson
12-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks...Merry Christmas

ms3635v
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Dana, my son-in-law shoots an original Smith with 28 grains of 3F GOEX and a Moose Mould 385 grain bullet .520 " sized to .518". No filler, bullet pushed into case (black plastic full capacity) and seated on top of powder. On the bench, we get a 5 shot group of 2".

efritz
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Just to throw some do-do into the game, you can try corn meal as a filler. Corn meal will compress where COW will not. So you can leave the bullet extended to a degree and when inserted into the firearm it will engage rifling and seat the bullet a little further. Work with it until you get it right. Remember. Pressure does effect accuracy. So a round compressed really hard will react differently than one where the filler is just filling the gap between bullet and powder.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
In the Deep South, the favored filler is GRITS. Get the kind with nothing added (not the instant). It does not compress.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Finally a good use for grits! :)

RaiderANV
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Finally a good use for grits! :) Yankees...........gotta luv 'em. =)

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I am originally from Maryland :) and I tried to bring my sonup right. His sisters will eat grits because they know what is good. But Joeand his mother have the misfortune of not liking grits. The problem up north isinstant grits are what you get. My opinion on them is they are almost not wortheating. When I go down south I buy real grits and smuggle them up north.

Real grits yellow or white are the breakfast of Champions and not Wheaties! Ithink Joe likes Captain Crunch :mad: or any of them other cereals that are halfsugar.

Joe Plakis Jr.
Hampton Legion 00302V

Maillemaker
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Big ol' bowl of snot.

Steve

RaiderANV
01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Girls
Raised
In
The
​South

yeah,,,,,,,real GRITS are GREAT. OK,,,,,we even like the yellow & white ones.

R. McAuley 3014V
01-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Finally a good use for grits! :)

In 1862 the force feeding of grits to Yankees replaced the less popular and now discouraged practice of water-boarding for the interrogation of prisoners.