PDA

View Full Version : A Newby Revolver Question

RangerFrog
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
In the For Sale or Trade board there is a listing for a pair of Remington revolvers including some special "Tresco" (sp?) nipples. My question is whether there is a good reason to change from my new Pietta-supplied examples to something else, and of course is it permissible to "hot rod" the revolver in this or similar ways? TIA for your answers and your indulgence.

Ranger Frog
1st Valley Rangers

Jason Connerley 12390
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Good question, I don't know if the tresco nipples are legal for N-SSA or not. I will modify the post to note that the revolvers may not be legal for N-SSA with them. The reason for the after market nipples is because they are supposed to be more uniform then the factory and are to solve the problem of poor cap fit. To be honest I have never installed the Trescos in those revolvers and fired them with the factory nipples which worked fine with Remington #10 caps. Since I used them in a cowboy match and couldn't load all 6 chambers I left a nipple out of each cylinder so I could identify the empty chamber.

I look forward to hearing if the after market nipples are N-SSA legal.

Jason Connerley

John Holland
04-23-2008, 11:34 PM
The replacement nipples will not be an issue.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Jason Connerley 12390
04-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Ranger Frog,
I have found an ad for the "Treso" nipples at the bottom of this page
http://www.possibleshop.com/nipples.htm in case you want to read the manufacturer's claims. Like I say I haven't actually tried them myself but in reading old posts on here on the N-SSA forums I have found mention of thier use. On the cowboy shooting forums many folks recommend changing the nipples as soon as you buy the revolvers. I don't have enough experience to back that up because in the little shooting I have done the factory ones worked fine. YMMV.

Jason Connerley

ETA the correct spelling appears to be Treso not "tresco", sorry about that. :oops:

RangerFrog
04-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your further information, Jason. I wasn't fishing, just curious because I didn't know. If the cowboy types are changing theirs out, as many rounds as they tend to fire, it would seem that there is probably a good reason for it.

John, you will recall that I have been feeling my way along semi-blindly as I try to enter a different form of competition for which I have virtually no experience with the workings of the rules. Many thanks for your rapid and definitive answer as well.

Regards,
Froggie

Don Dixon
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
The "Treso" nipples are the same as the "Ampco" nipples [the gold/copper colored nipples] which have been sold by suttlers at the Fort for years, and are widely used by skirmishers for both muskets and revolvers. If they were illegal, many of us would be in trouble. [See John Holland's post.]

Many of the steel nipples that come with the Italian reproduction revolvers exhibit VERY poor quality control on the part of the Italians: variable hole sizing, off center holes, poor quality "steel.". Additionally, steel nipples burn out fairly quickly. The Ampco/Treso nipples are much more consistent, and they last much, much longer. I use Ampco nipples on all my Civil War arms, except the Whitworth. Even the Ampco nipples won't stand up very long to the powder charges used with that. You have to use platinum lined nipples.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2991V