PDA

View Full Version : Maynard hammer screw thread dilemma!

ead
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey Guys'

I have a friend who has a 2nd model Maynard that some clown has run an incorrect tap into the hammer screw hole so that now an original screw will only go in about half way.
I'm hoping that one of you will know what size and thread of tap I could use to clean it up and where I could get one.

P.S. I already tried P.J. and he couldn't help.
I also tried Romono and he wasn't interested.

John Bly
12-20-2012, 04:10 PM
The thread size is 1/4"-24 and MSC Industrial Supply(mscdirect.com) has taps for about $24.00. That said, it may not work as the original threads are a Whitworth style with a rounded crest and root. If you run a tap thru the threads you may have to make a new screw or buy one from Lodgwood or S$S. The replacement screws they carry are modern thread style( not rounded crest and root) and they are dead soft. Their screws should be case hardened for long wear. Good luck, if you need more help, send me a PM

Blair
12-20-2012, 04:54 PM
John,

Thanks, this is good information to know!
For those that don't know, the British Whitworth thread is based off of a 55 degree pitch, Where the American thread is based off of a 60 degree pitch.
While the number of threads per inch and dia, maybe very similar, they will not interchange.

ead
12-20-2012, 11:33 PM
The thread size is 1/4"-24 and MSC Industrial Supply(mscdirect.com) has taps for about $24.00. That said, it may not work as the original threads are a Whitworth style with a rounded crest and root. If you run a tap thru the threads you may have to make a new screw or buy one from Lodgwood or S$S. The replacement screws they carry are modern thread style( not rounded crest and root) and they are dead soft. Their screws should be case hardened for long wear. Good luck, if you need more help, send me a PM

John,

I thank you kindly for the prompt and courteous reply.