PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Enfield "fowling gun"????

bigdog1
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I have what i believe to be an original enfield issue fowling or foraging gun. It is a 58 cal smoothbore barrel, no rear sights or have ever been cut for them. I will supply pics on request. I would accept offers for the gun. There is a makers name stamped on the inside of the 62 tower lock. condition is very good. how about it guys, i have heard talk of issued foraging guns like this. Am i off or is this possible. Also there are no stampings on the gun like the imports from india, nepal, pakistan guns that have been on the market. Thanks,
Bigdog.
bclancy@mchsi.com

Mike w/ 34th
03-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I would be interested in seeing pictures.

martini@rica.net

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
It sounds like a simple case of a cut down Brit. The rear sights were merely soldered on without a dovetail or screw. I don't believe that the military took the time and expense to issue "Fowling" pieces during the Civil War. Post war such items were made at Springfield and given to frontier posts as a way to add wild game to the rations issue. These Trapdoor shotguns are rare.
What you have is most likely an imported Tower musket that was a post war cut down of a surplus arm. There are zillions of cut muskets out there in varying stages of condition.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

R. McAuley 3014V
03-16-2009, 09:07 PM
If it is not simply a "shot-out" bore or one of the commercial British-made Enfields for the Africa trade... many a Birmingham Tower was made for the East India Company as well as for the British government in India.

http://www.antiquearmsandarmour.com/ima ... nfield.pdf (http://www.antiquearmsandarmour.com/images/The_Indian_Enfield.pdf)

bigdog1
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Jim, it is not a cut-down musket. i have some pics for you to see. send me your addy. please let me know your thoughts. I really think i have an authentic piece. i just want more input from other historians and experts!!! thanks everyone.
Bigdog
[/img]

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I got the photos and still believe it to be a Birmingham made export Enfield missing it's rear sight and maybe it's rifling. I guess it's possible to be as Mr. Mc Auley describes being an East India gun.
For some reason I was envisioning a cut down musket. The photos show all three bands and a full stock. Just like a P-53 with no rear sight.
Of course I may be mistaken.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

John Holland
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
bigdog1,

I would like to take a look at your photo's, too. If you don't mind.

You can use the email tab at the bottom.

John Holland

Mike w/ 34th
03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Is it possible it's a reproduction Enfield? Repros in the UK are not rifled, so they can be kept and shot on a Shotgun Certificate rather than being registered as a firearm.

Update--now that I've seen the photos, I reckon not.