PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Kenny Jr
12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Ive decided on a musket for team competition and am unfamiliar with all the many things Ill need to go along with it.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_186_191&products_id=16522 PR3460 PEDERSOLI 2 BAND ENFIELD RIFLE PEDERSOLI

It looks like it will work. I haven't heard anything bad about it. What do I need to make the ammo, and what other supplies will I need? What size bullet mold? There is a lot I need and I need to be wise about all the money I'm fixin to spend. I want to make sure I purchase what I really need to have a weapon I can use on a musket team.

kendawgnga@yahoo.com is a way you can contract me directly. Or if anyone can recommend a better weapon? Im all ears. I had a 2 band enfield many years ago.

Kenny Jr

Mike McDaniel
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
The Pedersoli Enfields are looking pretty good, but a new Skirmisher would probably be smarter to keep an eye on the For Sale portion of this BB. You should be able to pick up a good shooting musket secondhand in the $400-600 range - and get a good idea of just what to feed it. Muskets can be fickle, and a newcomer on a budget doesn't need to be spending a bunch of money on moulds.

Now, if I were equipping a novice, I'd be looking at the following:
Musket
Cleaning rod. Should be able to take both patches and a brush.
Brush.
Patches.
5 gallon plastic bucket (use for cleaning)
Nipple wrench to fit musket
Bullet mould
Bullet sizer if needed
Melting pot for lead. The electric pots are nice, but get a big one...20 lbs. Don't bother with bottom pour, you'll need a dipper.
Dipper for lead.
Lead. Pure lead. No alloys.
Cleaning patches.

Appropriate leather goods.

Maillemaker
12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I use a bottom-pour pot. The Lee 20 pound pot. You get nice pure lead off the bottom while the dross stays at the top.

No fiddling with a ladle, either. Just lift a knob and a nice river of shiny goodness comes forth. :)

Steve

ms3635v
12-19-2012, 07:21 AM
I have been using a plumbers pot (large melting pot) with a 20 gallon propane tank for about 30 years. I ladle-out the lead and have had no trouble casting bullets. Just a suggestion.

David Disher 12143
12-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Mike McDaniel offers good advice. While the 2 band Enfield is a good gun, bear in mind they are rather a different animal than the US made weapons...the drop in the stock is different, and its all a matter of your preference. This board is often a great place to pick up a musket that is already tuned, sighted, and the owner can provide a lot of data on what the gun likes....every musket is different, and it is an onerous task to start from scratch, especially for a new shooter.

Don't forget the gun's preservation and cleaning fluids....you will need a cleaner for between relays..this is most often a mixture of 3 liquids, equal parts of Hydrogen Peroxide, Denatured alcohol and murphy's oil soap. You can mix this up in large amounts and fill a small 6 oz spray bottle to keep in your shooting box. There is a product called "One Shot", and it is a premixed solvent for use between relays. Also, a good rust inhibitor spray (Ballistol or equivalent), for rust prevention after you have cleaned the old girl. Even if it is only going to sit idle a week or two, keep it oiled. A damp or humid night in a tent or camper will yield a horrible rust problem inside the bore if its not protected.

Get some sight black (available from any sutler), as well as some flourescent sight paint. Q-tips for your nipple channel, and pipe cleaners help keep the flash channel clean. Also, make sure you have a good sight protector....one good bump can ruin the sight picture for any gun.

Leathers are available from Tommy Johnson in Richmond VA. He is a skilled craftsman, and many of the leathers on the line are from him. Good prices, outstanding quality. And the best provider for shooting boxes and bullet boxes is MTM Case-Gard, hands down. Again, available from most sutlers, but Miami Valley sutler has a great selection.

Best of luck, and welcome to the N-SSA.

David Disher
110th OVI