PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Burns Nipples

Rick R
12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
My Shiloh Sharps loses accuracy after about 50 to 100 rounds. The flash hole through the nipple elongates as a "trench" is burned in face that I believe should seat against the touch hole in the breach block. After replacing the nipple either accuracy returns or I think it does becauce I start hitting. I tried sooting the nipple, seating it, removing and looking for the signs of contact. There were none suggesting that there is a gap between the face of the nipple and the breach block. Perhaps the distance on the breach block between the surface that the nipple shoulder seats against and the touch hole is too great. Any suggestions other than havong a pocket full of nipples at the ready?

Thanks,

Rick

Charlie Hahn
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
What maker is the gun? I would like to see the block and the nipple interface. I have to believe the erosion might be caused by blow back. How much over groove diameter is your bullet? What powder charge and powder type are you using? What is the nipple material. Pictures?????

Regards

Charlie Hahn

Rick R
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Charlie. I'll try to post pics but since grandkids were born my wife confiscated my camera. I use pure lead and a Lee Smith bullet that starts out life at .515 and ends up .511 (groove to groove measured by max of slugged round) after my Farmingdale Shiloh has it's way with it. Obviously it's a .50 cal. I'm using 43gr of GOEX 3F and haircurler paper. My chamber is very short 1 1/4 perhaps 1 5/16, not a precise measure. I tried your tubes by glueing the tube face to the bullet base but it's too fragile.

The nipples have been primarily from Lodgewood and whatever I stole from Pat Kabowsky when he wasn't looking. I'm not sure what grade of stainless they use.

As far as accuracy 3 out of 5 rounds go into the same hole and the other 2 two can land in the 9 ring. I have a bit of load development to do. I have been thinking of trying harder lead but that may make blowback worse. I don't burn through caps.

Thanks,

Rick
1st USSS

ian45662
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Ever try 2 F? I used to shoot 50 grains 2 F and I could get through 2or 3 shoots. I changed my load over last winter to 42 grains of 2 f and if I had to replace the nipple once if that many times. Don't be afraid to try a little less powder. Mine is 54 cal by the way

Charlie Hahn
12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Bullet to bore is a little heavy, considering you are using a straight bullet. I would suggest no more than .002 over groove.

Powder charge is a little heavy for a 50 cal. I set one up to use about 28 3f / 30 2f / 32 1.5f. with a sized bullet, and it worked out pretty well.

If using my tubes with flat bullet use Gel- Super glue, I think you will see it is fine.

Once you try the smaller bullet, you can try a little harder lead, 20:1 Lead tin and think it will solve the problem.

One more thing that I just thought of, how large is the flash hole in the block? I have seen some with holes around .10 inch and they do blow back a little more than others.

Charlie

Maillemaker
12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I was sad to hear that his Sharps burns nipples. Perhaps you could tuck it in closer to your shoulder?

:cool:

Steve

Rick R
12-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the input, just glad I never shot it from the hip. I have tried 2F and lower charges of both 3F and 2F.

The hole in the breach block is greater than 5/64 and less than 3/32.