PDA

View Full Version : "Attic Found" spencer

MikeArthur
12-11-2012, 06:56 AM
This old gun has very strong rifling with no pitting. However the bore is very dark. Seems there is a light coating of rust. Should this hurt accuracy? Anything I can do to improve the accuracy?Thanks in advanceMike Arthur843 412-1992

Maillemaker
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
If you see strong rifling and no pitting I'd say you were good to go, assuming the rest of the firearm is sound.

The first thing I'd do is clean the barrel, using patches and a brass bristle brush.

Steve

Michael Bodner
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
No. The gun is useless. I'll give you a hundred dollars (cash) for it ;)

Jim Barber
12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Michael,

How rude of you! Of course the gun has absolutely no monetary value, but its historical value as a timeless piece of attic makes it worth at least $110.00. I will pay that just to honor posterity and so forth.

Mike,

Seriously though, as Steve mentions, just a thorough scrubbing with your favorite solvent and a bronze bristle brush should bring it back to its glory. Congratulations on the score, and please let us know how it cleans up. Once you've got it clean, if you don't plan on shooting it, just be sure to use your favorite brand of gun oil to protect the newly exposed/unoxidized steel.

Also, for cleaning/reconditioning the stock, I highly recommend tracking down a bottle of "Kramer's Antique Improver." It's compatible with old finishes, doesn't seal the wood the way poly does, and provides a really clean matte finish. And no, I ain't got stock in Kramer. Their website is a hoot to read, btw: "cures bunions! Eliminates squeaks and rattles! Tunes Stradivarius violins! Solves world hunger!"Not quite as wacky as the Ballistol product website, but that's a whole 'nuther topic...

Cheers,
Jim B
110th OVI
Grove City, OH

John Holland
12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Mike-Harts - I would suggest you try this website also http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,35.0.html

You will find more info on shooting the Spencer than you ever imagined was available.

The webmaster is Two Flints who posts here occasionally, will check your serial number for you too to see if it shows up in any of the serial number records, if you register as a user, which is free and quickly done. Many of our N-SSA members are there, too.

JDH

R. McAuley 3014V
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Effectively removes heavy rust, scale and bluing without damaging your expensive firearms or parts, because it attacks the rust, not the base metal. Works great on both steel and cast iron without dangerous fumes; does not cause hydrogen embrittlement. pH neutral solution won't eat your clothing or bench. Does not attack softer metals like brass, copper, zinc or aluminum so there's no need to remove inlays, sight beads or solder-on ribs before immersion. Highly concentrated liquid really saves money. One gallon of Brownells Steel White can be diluted with water to make up to 20 gallons of safe, economical, rust and blue removing solution. Removes light rust and bluing in as little as 5 minutes; immerse in solution longer for heavier rust or scale. Works great at room temperature but can be heated to 120° F. to increase speed of rust removal.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/pre-finish-surface-prep/steel-white-prod1084.aspx

MikeArthur
12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
If I wanted to leave the rifling in its current state, would this hurt accuracy vs "cleaning it up"?ThanksMike, hampton horse artillery

R. McAuley 3014V
12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Only one way to find out --- shoot it as is and see if the bore cleans up though use? Is the carbine a 1860 or 1865; 6-groove or 3-groove; in .56-.56 or .56-.50?

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Why would you want to do that?? (Shoot a rusty bore.) You're going to clean it afterwards anyhow (at least I hope so!!). So clean it now with solvent, a bronze brisle brush, and run a few patches though it at least, man.

Gary/CO
12-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't worry about how dark a bore is. A dark bore, like a pitted bore, can still shoot straight.

Just give it normal cleaning and use a muzzle protector when you do. Don't over clean as its possible you can damage the muzzle.