PDA

View Full Version : Mould Throwing Winged Round Balls

flhocker
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Help! I have a lyman .678 bround mould throwing winged balls. Does anyone know how to cure this (other than buying a new mould). Is it lead temp?, Misalignment of the two blocks? Or?

Thanks for any help. Frank Hocker, Whites Company

efritz
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Your blocks are not closing all the way. Find the source of them not doing so. Misalignment, lead in between the two halves, lead in the pin holes, the pins sticking out too far, wrong handles for the mould, etc, etc. For such a small piece of equipment, alot can go wrong. Hope this helps.

Eggman
12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Perfect opportunity for a lottery. Lyman right? I got a dollar on wrong handles.

Eddie Bruner, 12222
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Check and be sure no lead in in the alignment pin holes. I have had that happen from time to time.

-Eddie

BTW - He asked for help, not sarcasm.

Eggman
12-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I've used Lyman molds since 1972. The only time I got "wings" was when I had the mold blocks hooked to the wrong handles.

hp gregory
12-10-2012, 07:06 AM
if the handles dont prove to be the problem check the mould maiting surface. you may have some lead build up. i have found the easiest way to get rid of it is to take a propane torch and head the surface of each half. if you have compressed air you can used that to blow any molten lead off the surface. just make sure you aim the air away from you and that you wear gloves and eye protection. you may have to repeat the process several times to get the mould clean. this method is much better than scrapeing the mould with a screw driver or file. i worked on radiators for years and this is the way i get rid of the solder joints. if you take your time it works very well.

hp