PDA

View Full Version : Pedersolis new sharps Breech Block

johnefelts
12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Any thoughts to how effective this will be?

gemmer
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Any thoughts to how effective this will be?

There's an article in an issue of Pedersoli's magazine about a new Sharps 1859 Civilian Carbine, that utilizes the new breechblock. Oddly enough, that model doesn't show up in their product line on their website. You can download the magazine in PDF form by going to their site, click on NEWS AND EVENTS, then MAGAZINE.
Scroll down to Issue #5 02/11//2010.

Duane

johnefelts
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
There's an article in an issue of Pedersoli's magazine about a new Sharps 1859 Civilian Carbine, that utilizes the new breechblock. Oddly enough, that model doesn't show up in their product line on their website. You can download the magazine in PDF form by going to their site, click on NEWS AND EVENTS, then MAGAZINE.
Scroll down to Issue #5 02/11//2010.

Duane

I bought this one from Cabelas,surely someone else here has bought one with the same breech design.

Des
12-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I bought the 59 military model from Cabellas. It was on sale. After receiving it I noticed that it had the new style breech block. After seeing how it was supposed to seal and talking to others I took it to Charlie Hahn for his modification.

johnefelts
12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I bought the 59 military model from Cabellas. It was on sale. After receiving it I noticed that it had the new style breech block. After seeing how it was supposed to seal and talking to others I took it to Charlie Hahn for his modification.

Yeah,Charlie did a Mod on my sporting Model and it works real well,Ive yet to fire this new carbine to see if this new style breech works.

Des
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I could not see how the breech block was going to seal any better as the O ring is on the non sealing side of the block and would appear to act more like a shock absorber than a seal

luckychessie
12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I have done this type of modification and it works great. The o-ring must have enough pressure on it to keep the breach plate snug against the chamber. Liberal amounts of high pressure grease on the o-ring and seal and you can shoot all day without siezing.

Charlie Hahn
12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I have converted several like this, a few have been fired, 3 to 8 shots, locked up. Takes the dirt a little longer to get in the block, but still does. The sleeve fit is looser, and allows crud in there as well. I have seen this with steel washers and double o-rings, results ar the same. I am finishing up Des's gun right now, it had a copper vent, real pain to get out, others had stainless steel.Charlie

johnefelts
12-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I have converted several like this, a few have been fired, 3 to 8 shots, locked up. Takes the dirt a little longer to get in the block, but still does. The sleeve fit is looser, and allows crud in there as well. I have seen this with steel washers and double o-rings, results ar the same. I am finishing up Des's gun right now, it had a copper vent, real pain to get out, others had stainless steel.Charlie

Well then Charlie it looks like after the 1st of the year Ill be sending you my carbine, I like the Mod you have done on the sporting model I sent you, oh and that Parker Hale Volunteer you sold me took a deer at two hundred yards a couple weeks ago.

Charlie Hahn
12-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Can't believe you let that deer get that Close

Good shooting

Charlie

Southron Sr.
12-12-2012, 10:38 AM
I am just wondering IF the new Pedersoli breech block seal was OPTIMIZED to be used with the Pedersoli brass cartridge cases.

Obviously, if a brass cartridge case is used, less fouling is going to make its way into the breechblock.

Charlie Hahn
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
You may be correct. However there is still the head space issue with these, there isn't one. I have an older Pedersoli beater carbine that I am working to make an externally primed 50-70 short out of just for paper punching. This continues to be a back burner project. The plan is to build on my solid block design to make a cleaner gun. Hand extraction is the direction I plan to go. I have most of the details worked out I just need to do it.

Charlie

johnefelts
12-13-2012, 09:10 AM
You may be correct. However there is still the head space issue with these, there isn't one. I have an older Pedersoli beater carbine that I am working to make an externally primed 50-70 short out of just for paper punching. This continues to be a back burner project. The plan is to build on my solid block design to make a cleaner gun. Hand extraction is the direction I plan to go. I have most of the details worked out I just need to do it.

Charlie
Ive been thinking about something like that Charlie,I just bought some .50 Alaskan brass and plan to fire form it to chamber size and of course it will be hand extracted and externally primed,the .50 Alaskan is only .016 smaller than my current chamber.