PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher .54

Pohill
12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I was directed to this forum to find info and opinions on an Erma Gallagher .54. I'd never seen one before and when I saw one in a store recently, it grabbed my attention. I started researching it, and possibly might buy it. I don't hunt or compete but I like BP guns - I have originals and repros that I shoot.
I've read that the Erma repros in .54 are not historically accurate, and the 1:18 twist is pretty fast (the originals were 1:72). With that twist, harder lead (wheelweights) should be used for bullets...right?
I've handled it, worked the action, talked to Lodgewood and S&S about brass cases. I haven't found a mold yet.
Any pros and cons with this rifle? The one I'm looking at seems to be reasonably priced at $400 (with one loaded round).
Thanks for any info and opinion.
Ah ha - I just scrolled down and found some similiar threads with good info.

ms3635v
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Moose Moulds makes a mould that will work in an Erma Gallager. To see a picture, go to Moose Moulds on Facebook. They make great moulds.

Pohill
12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that tip. I just called them and got some good info on the gun and their molds.

Jud96
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Hello. I shoot an ERMA Gallager and only shoot hard lead in mine and it is a tack driver. The price is also very good on the one you're looking at!

Pohill
12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Do wheelweights qualify as hard lead? I reload for my 50-70 Trapdoor and I use lead that's harder than what I use for BP revolvers, but not wheelweight hard. And I understand that linotype lead is even harder than wheelweight lead.
I like unique guns and the Gallagher is certainly unique.

Ron/The Old Reb
12-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Linotype is a lot harder than wheelwright. I have shot Linotype in my Smith carbine and it shot very well. But it is hard to fine today.