PDA

View Full Version : Barrel maker...

danajhanson
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know of a barrel maker named Mike Brown? Ran across a Kentucky Longrifle with that name on the barrel, but I can't find anything on the web...the name is a little to common for Google to dial it in.

DJH

Blair
11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Dana,

The name on the barrel "may" not be that of the barrel maker, but rather the maker of the firearm. This is even more common on older arms. In some cases, this may have been the name of the person ordering or buying the arm.
More information, from you, is needed on the age/originality of this arm. Is it a KY. OH., Penn or VA. made? Most States had their own style Longarms.
Just some thoughts on my part,

hp gregory
12-04-2012, 07:22 AM
on most custom round ball guns i have seen the builder engraves his name in the top flat of the barrel. in most cases the barrel maker would mark his barrels on the bottom flat. in modern times most dont sign them anymore due to liability and tax problems. i guess in the old days it was good advertising. if someone saw a rifle they liked they would know who to go to to get one built. in a lot of cases the builder made all the parts needed to build a rifle. lock stock and barrel.

hp