PDA

View Full Version : James River Armory Barrel Clean-out Screw

Jim_Burgess_2078V
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
In a "weak moment" at a gun show last year I bought a JRA Richmond Rifle NIB. While cleaning the rifle after it's baptism of fire, I discovered that the clean-out screw in the bolster could not be picked up with my magnetic screwdriver. It is not a ferrous alloy. I suspect and I'm a little concerned it might be aluminum. Has anyone else noticed similar clean-out screws on JRA rifles and know what material it is actually made of?
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Steve Sharpe 0236
04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
It may be stainless steel. Stainless cannot be picked up with a magnet. Sounds funny (does not read well) on a metal detector either.

Steve

Jim_Burgess_2078V
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the responses both on and off the board. There must be differing grades of stainless steel. I have a Swiss Army Knife blade, a dial caliper and a ruler all marked "stainless" and my magnet adheres to them all. It would be nice to believe my clean-out screw is stainless steel but is there any way to tell for sure (without destructive analysis)?

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Steve Sharpe 0236
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Call Mark Hartman (owner of JRA) at (410) 923-7942 and ask him. He is a good guy. If he ask tell him Steve Sharpe with the Capital of the Confederacy Civil War Show helped you with the number. Mark helped me with a saddle ring carbine (Enfield) project I was working on. This would be the least destructive way I know.

Steve

Charlie Hahn
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Jim,

You might find a known steel screw of similar size and weight it on a powder scale then weigh the suspect screw. I think you will find that they are very close. I don't know any one who makes an aluminum pan head screw of this size unless it is for very special needs. I would bet that this is made from 300 seires material and is a grade five or better. If you are at the nationals I could take a look at it for you, but don't believe you have an issue.

Charlie Hahn

John Holland
04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I spoke with Mark Hartman this evening, owner & operator of James River Armory Mfg., about the clean-out screws in question. Mark informed me that the clean-out screws are in fact stainless steel.

The magnetic properties of stainless steel are determined by the amount of Nickel used in the production process. High grade Stainless has a large quantity of Nickel, and isn't magnetic. Conversely, a small amount of Nickel will permit steel to be graded as "Stainless", but still be magnetic, which is mostly what you get from places like China.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Steve Sharpe 0236
04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
That is what I was thinking. I didn't believe (and I could be and have been wrong before) aluminum, even aircraft aluminum would be strong enough to withstand the repeated pressures of the black powder combustion over time without damage to the threads. The most logical would have been stainless steel. Great news without any destructive test.

Steve

Jim_Burgess_2078V
04-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks, everyone, for clearing this up! I feel much better now.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI.