PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Enfield, Whitworth, and Volunteer Rifle Barrels-BUT YOU CAN'T BUY THEM!!!

Southron Sr.
11-25-2012, 10:47 PM
When Parker-Hale went bankrupt several decades ago, their plant including their "Hammer Forging Barrel Machinery" was purchased by a company named Armalon. Basically, from what I understand Hammer Forging Barrel Machinery is pretty massive and not easily moved-not like, say a Pratt & Whitney Rifling Machine, etc.

Armalon is primarily concerned with manufacturing modern barrels on the machinery such as .303, .308, etc., caliber barrels. That being said, they have all the tools and machinery to turn out BRAND NEW .577 Enfield barrels, Whitworth barrels, Volunteer Rifle barrels, etc.

I quote from the 5th paragraph of their web page on barrels:

"Classic barrel types may also be produced for a full range of muzzleloading, black powder arms. Tooling is available to produce .451 to .577 calibers in three grooves 1853 Enfield pattern, 5 Groove 1861/1858 Enfield plus the 8 Groove Enfield Volunteer format. Included are Whitworth Hexagonal forms, Metford and Martini-Henry..."

I have sent them several e-mails inquiring how I could purchase some of their .577 Enfield Naval Rifle barrels from them, but never receive a reply!

HOPEFULLY A SUTLER OR DEALER WILL CONTACT ARMALON AND IMPORT SOME OF THEIR ENFIELD BARRELS AS I AM SURE THAT THERE IS A MARKET FOR REPLACEMENT BARRELS FOR PARKER-HALE ENFIELDS, EUROARMS ENFIELDS, ETC.,

Check out the Armalon website:

http://www.armalon.com/public/static/page/4/

R. McAuley 3014V
11-26-2012, 12:08 AM
You really ought to follow-up your emails with enquiries via snail-mail because they may not be receiving your emails? I might add that observing from the credentials noted the manager Peter Sarony is an architect, though is not a chartered architect (i.e. in practice) as yet, hence the "associate" ARIBA credentials rather than full RIBA, so he has not yet sat for Part III of the RIBA exam to become chartered. If the map location is accurate, he is also likely not manufacting on-premises unless he is producing minatures, but it may be that Armalon is seeking an importer, like perhaps Shenandoah Armaments and the ilk, to take an interest in their manufacturing capacity?

Maillemaker
11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
How would these barrels differ from those produced by Hoyt and Whitacre? Would they have a forged-in-place snail?

Steve

Southron Sr.
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Dear Steve:

The Armalon Barrels are made by the "Hammer Forging" method (originally developed before World War II by German industry to make barrels for the MG-42 belt fed machinegun.) Whitaker Barrels are rifled on a World War II surplus Pratt & Whitney Rifling Machine that has been modified and rebuilt several times. My understanding is that Bobby Hoyt built his own rifling machine that rifles barrels using the "Cut Rifling" method.

The article below will explain all the various ways to mke a rifled barrel. For example, the new Pedersoli Enfields utilize barrels that are rifled by the "Button Rifling" method. Obviously, Pedersoli has perfected the "Button Rifling" method because their barrels are superbly accurate.

http://www.firearmsid.com/feature%20articles/rifledbarrelmanuf/barrelmanufacture.htm

Maillemaker
11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Cool article, thanks.

Steve

medic302
11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
no matter how nice the mandrel is a hammer forged barrel will never be as accurate as a button rifled and definitly a cut rifled barrel.