PDA

View Full Version : Italian vs English built Parker Hale markings

gemmer
11-18-2012, 10:59 AM
How does one tell the difference between an Italian built and English built Parker Hale?

Thanks,

Duane

Pat in Virginia
11-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Duane,

I have an Italian built PH-Whitworth. It is marked "Made in Italy" on the brass behind the trigger guard. It has a Birmingham made barrel but the lock and stock are Italian made and show it. The stock is fat and does not curve in along the top of the barrel channel. The lock is not as finely finished on the interior and the PH stamp is a bit blurred.

I don't know about the other Italian marks but I think an Italian made Ph will have that "Made in Italy" stamp somewhere on it. Also if you don't see any "BP" stamps on the top of the rear of the barrel you can be pretty sure it was not made in the UK even if the barrel was made in Birmingham.

Pat

R. McAuley 3014V
11-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Pat is correct with the "Made in Italy" stamped in the trigger-plate as denoting the Italian-made Parker-Hales, but some of the other markings can be confusing. If the barrel has Birmingham proof marks (i.e. Crown over BP), then it is an original Parker-Hale made barrel. If the barrel has Birmingham proof marks on the top of the barrel but also has Gardone house proof marks on the side or bottom of the barrel then it is a Birmingham-made Parker Hale barrel in an Italian (Euroarms) stock that has been re-proofed for export. If it has Gardone proof house marks, the barrel is also manufactured in Italy. If it is a Italian barrel, it will bear the Italian year of manufacture code (typically a two-letter code inside a rectangular box), usually stamped on the side of the barrel or sometimes hidden away from view. If it is a Parker-Hale made barrel, it will bear date code stamps on the underside of the barrel like those shown in the link below.

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php?6209-Parker-Hale-Musket-date-of-manufacture