PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Lorenz muskets...

fahnenschmied
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
It seems there are a few folks here who just may know all I could ever want to know about Austrian muskets - I have a couple of questions for you, if you dont mind.
Recently I bought an old Lorenz which came with a fitting bayonet. It has a normal Lorenz socket, with diagonal slot, which fits easily but somewhat loosely on my musket. Odd thing is it is triangular and some 2.5 - 3cm longer than a regular Lorenz bayonet. I thought at first it was an arsenal conversion of some sort, but it seems to be made that way, to judge from the shape of the tip. Could this be for one of the shorter carbines? All I can find searching the internet in English and German shows just quadrangular bayonet for the rifles and some flat bladed types for the carbines. The blade on this one resembles a French 1822, only longer.
Next question - do any of you have any description or photos of how the ammunition was packaged, both the paper packets and the wooden boxes or caskes they were stored in?
Lastly - have you any information of the slings used in the Austrian army for that musket? I have found a few grainy photos where it seems the sling resembles ones in use in the Great War...but I'd like to see what color, what sort of metal for the hardware, etc. Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

GPM
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Tim Prince has had a few US made bayonets for foreign muskets on his site in the past. I don't remember one for a Lorenz but perhaps they did make some?

gmkmd
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I think the bayonet for a Bavarian Podeweils conversion musket meets your description. Does the bridge where the front sight fits through have an unusual shape?

fahnenschmied
11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks, folks - this is exactly what I have. Appreciate your help greatly!

Dave