PDA

View Full Version : Cap burn through

jonk
11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a Euroarms 2 band Enfield. As part of an ongoing quest to get some decent accuracy out of it, I decided to swap out the factory nipple for a new stainless one. The original was drilled slightly off center and had a flat base, with some erosion starting on the flash hole in the nipple. The new one from S&S is stainless, has a small cone machined in the base, and a thinner tighter flash channel overall.

The old nipple never burned through caps; the new one is chewing a hole through every single one. I'm not sure how much this is hurting accuracy but it can't help (or am I making too big a deal of it?)

Odd, usually when I start seeing burn through on caps it is precisely because the nipple needs replacing.

Standard load of 45gr 3F with a 5752213.

Thoughts?

hp gregory
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
are you using swiss powder. its quite a bit hotter than goex and others. does the recoil feel any differant. i assume you have checked your loads. have you used these caps before. if all the base line components are correct then it sounds like the way the nipple is made may be concentrating the force of the explosion through the nipple like a laser. sorta strange to say the least.
hp

jonk
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Tried Goex and Grafs, did the same with both.

All charges verified, at least I double checked the remaining ones later- and honestly, I could double that charge and shouldn't see burn through.

Caps the same I used for half the season, regular wingless Dynamit Nobels.

matt
11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Have you chronographed the load with both nipples? If they are close then accuracy should be comparable. Now if one nipple is giving higher readings than the other then the burn through could be an issue.
matt

Ken Hansgen, 11094
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Burn-through is a SAFETY issue anyway.

RaiderANV
11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Had the same problem many moons ago. My mainspring had weakened it appears over time and my flash hole had enlarged. I got a new nipple and it stated burning caps. I replaced the mainspring and problem went away. Didn't even notice the spring had weakened. Could maybe be your problem?

jonk
11-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Had the same problem many moons ago. My mainspring had weakened it appears over time and my flash hole had enlarged. I got a new nipple and it stated burning caps. I replaced the mainspring and problem went away. Didn't even notice the spring had weakened. Could maybe be your problem?

Interesting possibility for sure. It seems to still have plenty of oomph to it, and ignition is positive (to say the least). However I know some others have had issue with the mainspring in these needing re-tempering or replacement. I'll do the chronograph and go from there.

Southron Sr.
11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
For the past 30 years I have used the AAMPCO Nipples available from Dixie Gun Works and The House of Muskets (you can Google both websites.)

Whenever I buy a gun that comes with either a standard factory steel nipple-OR A STAINLESS STEEL NIPPLE, I THROW THOSE NIPPLES AWAY and replace them with AAMPCO NIPPLES.

Charlie Hahn
11-29-2012, 06:56 AM
I have a few questions.If you put the old nipple back does it stop the burn through?Is the face of the hammer flat or does it have a crater starting?Last, on the new nipple does the hammer sit square on the nipple? If not you may want to file the top till it does. Then try it again.Charlie Hahn

jonk
11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a few questions.If you put the old nipple back does it stop the burn through?Is the face of the hammer flat or does it have a crater starting?Last, on the new nipple does the hammer sit square on the nipple? If not you may want to file the top till it does. Then try it again.Charlie Hahn

Hi Charlie,

Yes, it stops the burn through if I put the old nipple back on.

The face of the hammer does have a crater starting, but it is still pretty shallow.

The hammer does sit square as per a little sight black sprayed on the top of it to check fit; however, it might NOT fill the crater starting in the hammer...

Charlie Hahn
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Just a guess, but I think the old nipple had a way to release pressure either around the rim or by a different chamfer, and the new nipple might seal better around and is letting the pressure rupture through the crater. You can have someone spot face the hammer, or try another hammer just to see if that solves the problem.

If you can send a photo of the old nipple and hammer face it might help.

Thanks

Charlie

PS: Yes I can spot face the hammer.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
11-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Take an A off Southron's spelling--it's AMPCO, which is a VERY tough alloy. (I believe it's what I was calling Beryllium.)

Charlie Hahn
12-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Naval bronze I the general material type

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Chalie, Are you saying Naval Bronze is another name for AMPCO (a beryllium alloy)?

Charlie Hahn
12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Ampco is brand name for a type of navel bronze. Breylillum is typically a white metal, very light, highest weight to strength ratio. Usually breylillum nipples have a insert of this material due to cost. I am not sure of the exact alloy of the Amppco Material, but it is in the navel bronze family.Charlie