PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy fuse?

gmkmd
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Where do you guys get cannon fuse? I just got a small (2 1/4" bore) mortar that I think was made by South Bend Replicas, for shooting juice cans. Where can I buy some fuse so I can shoot this puppy?

Maillemaker
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Well...I know it's listed here on Back Creek Gun Shop's web site:

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

(which seems down at the moment)

Hopefully you have someone in the know who can help you with your mortar.

Steve

Muley Gil
11-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Dixie Gun Works lists it in their catalog. However, there is a $25 HazMat shipping fee. :(

RaiderANV
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Make your own. Go to an art supply store(only place I found them) and buy the paper drinking straws. Cut them in half and fill with 4F powder. Fold over at both ends. Ya stick one in the vent hole and twist it so it unwraps on the seam exposing the powder and light Runs about 2 cents a shot compared to.18-24 cents a shot for cannon fuse. =)

nightstalker
11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Glenn,
I saw cannon fuse this Sunday at the E. Hartford, Ct. Cabelas store. However, after checking out the price for it on their on-line catalog, I've found that it is not listed. Probabily due to the high hazmat shipping. If you have a Cabelas in your area, check it out. Also, my gun dealer carries it, don't know if he could send it to you. If all else fails, get back to me. Good luck, Nightstalker

rampa_room_artillery
11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
www.cannonfuse.com (http://www.cannonfuse.com) is the best price and options out there from what i have seen. i shoot the 2 sec per ft. fuse its faster then soda straws.

Rick bryan
11434 rowan artillery

Ken Hansgen, 11094
11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Raider ANV's suggestion is cheap, but VERY fast. For a mortar especially you need something much slower. I used to have some fuse when I shot a mortar in CA, It was green, but I don't remember anymore where I got it. Good luck.

Fearless Frank
11-14-2012, 09:11 PM
PJ's type of primer is what I use and it's not fast at all. Now if you want fast simply sprinkle the FFFF on scotch tape fold it over and stick it into the sodastraw. Now that's fast.

RaiderANV
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah.............seen the tape trick one time. That sucker went so fast the guy firing it ended up lookin' like-ah cartoon with the blackened face an all.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
11-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't understand how PJ's type of fuse can be any slower than the Scotch Tape kind. Black powder is black powder. Apparently the tape's ingredients are responsible?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been using the paper straw with FFFFg GOEX on scotch tape 'quill' for years. You need a linstock to ignite them safely. They are quick. Cheap and easy to make too. Paper straws aren't easy to find, and neither is 100% cotton rope for the linstock, but they are out there. I started making my own friction primers. It wasn't all that hard, but the 'quills' are a lot quicker, easier and cheaper.

John Holland
11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Straws are easy to find....I buy all of mine from Jackie Venskoske at the Back Creek Gunshop!

JDH

rachbobo
11-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I bought some so called 100% cotton rope only to find it had a synthetic core making it useless.
I just cut off a 3 ft length and it was easy to pull out the core. I disolved some Potassium Nitrate in water and let the length soak for a while then let hang to dry.
It burns a little faster than by not soaking it but stays lit and burns evenly.
To make a slower burning quill I made some powdered charcoal from Basswood and mixed it 50-50 with 1 F and put it in a paper straw.

Just a thought.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

I buy my fuse from Jackie also