PDA

View Full Version : Need mentor for 24 pound mortar

Toddj
11-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Just bought a 24 lb mortar and I was wondering what type powder to use and how much to start off with until I can get it zeroed in. I also read that I need to get it inspected before competing. Who do I contact to get it scheduled?

Thank you,
Jody Todd
6th VA Cav
571-931-0830

MR. GADGET
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Was it a N-SSA tube?

Cant really say for the 24 as I shoot a 12 and just starting a build on a 24 but shooting on a 24 team I remember around 500 +- grains as a base. My 12 is a 300 Base. Shooting 1F

It really depends on weather and the balls plus the tube.
We really need info on the tube, where you got it and I would have it checked out before you shoot it the forst time if it did not have N-SSA papers and come from a N-SSA builder.

Also your range will tell you what you need, if you have a pond say at 120 yards or heavy woods, I would start light and work us shooting it. Always better to add more powder and drop it at 50-75 yards then put it at 150 in the water or woods and loose a ball.

SO, #1, Have it looked at, let someone that has shot them be with you and print off all the info on mortars from the web site.
Follow it.

John Holland
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Of prime importance....KEEP A DOPE BOOK ! ! !

Atmospheric conditions, barometer, temperature, lighting, wind speed, direction, etc. You just can't believe how important this info will be in the future.

JDH