PDA

View Full Version : Question about the design of period wheels

TexReb
11-07-2012, 04:39 AM
I am seeking some enlightenment.

I have long noticed that artillery vehicle wheels are not made on a straight line through the hub but, the rims are actually splayed out from the line of the hub. I also saw this feature on a coupe old Amish buggy wheels I picked up for a project.

I have long wondered. Does any buddy (obviously, that should have read, "anybody." Duuhhh:confused: Some days I'm dumber than others.) know why they are like that? I mean, it has to be more difficult to make them that way so there must (?) be some engineering reason for it. Yes?

rachbobo
11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Could be that if they are straight and parallel or tilted inward the cart could fishtail side to side when pulled.
But when aligned tilting outward slightly it would add a little drag almost like a sea anchor or the fletching on an arrow to keep it from wandering.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

TexReb
11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't know. Here's a treatise from 1892 on wheel making and the felloe (a pun, that) refers to it but, if he explains the reason for it, I can't fathom it out. It almost looks to me as a by-product of shrinking the steel tire onto the rim but, I can't see that.
Maybe somebody smarter than me can make sense of it? This guy also makes "cannon wheels." How correct they may be, I can't say. If good, maybe somebody here can use the reference of a wheel maker.
http://www.customwagons.com/wagon_wheel_making.html

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
If I remember right it's a six degree dish and is there to aid in stability while in a turn. The wheels also have a slight toe in at the bottom.

(Just thinking that Toe In may not be the proper term.)

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

TexReb
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I contacted a wheel maker about it and got a reply that explains it right well. So, now we know.

Here 'tis...
All wooden wheels, light & heavy, should have a “dish”. This dish creates a truss-like situation in the wheel that supports the wheel when the vehicle is turning or on a hillside. The size and style of the wheel determines the amount of dish. Proper dish is built into a wheel from the hub out. Axles and boxings (the metal sleeve in the center of the hub) are machine and gauged to coincide with the angle of dish in each wheel. It is also noted that on a wagon, the dish of the front wheels varies even from those of the rear because of the different diameters.

John Holland
11-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Dang, Jim, you did pretty good for an "Old Guy"!

Your buddy,
John

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Wisdom comes with time.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's battery

Eggman
11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
To amplify, according to Clint of Iowa, the angles provide added strength and are self tightening. Look at the angled spokes on a bycycle wheel.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Wisdom comes with time.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's battery

.....and with flashing lights in the rear view mirror.;)

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Ever vigilant.

It was a nice surprise to see you the other night Phil. Isn't funny how peoples paths cross at unexpected times.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

TexReb
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Dang, Jim, you did pretty good for an "Old Guy"!

Your buddy,
John

Now I get the "buddy" comment, (not complaining mind you).

Does any buddy know
It's a good thing I am an old flatulence, otherwise it'd be hard to explain such a gaff. GADS! Where was my mind?!:confused: Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
11-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Ever vigilant.

It was a nice surprise to see you the other night Phil. Isn't funny how peoples paths cross at unexpected times.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Yes it is . And its a great story, that will be told in due time !

Good work to both you and Lefty !

Phil