PDA

View Full Version : How to properly bed a rifle musket

medic302
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
to all,

how do i properly glass bed my pedersoli P53? i just want to know exactly how to do it before i begin. for the record i've had some time to shoot it a little more and it always groups it just groups in differant spots depending on the weather, so i assume it's time to bed the barrel just like any other musket. correct? thanks for any help guys.

Maillemaker
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Instead of trying to control the musket, go for controlling the weather!

Steve

medic302
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
that's gonna be a difficult one.

Smosin
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
This might be of help:

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php?3406-Glass-Beding-Info& (http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php?3406-Glass-Beding-Info&)

Maillemaker
11-06-2012, 03:07 PM
How to properly bed a rifle musket

Well first, you take it out to a nice restaurant for dinner. Then you buy it flowers...[/quote]

LOL I'm full of smart-ass today! :)

Steve

medic302
11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Well first, you take it out to a nice restaurant for dinner. Then you buy it flowers...

LOL I'm full of smart-ass today! :)

Steve[/QUOTE]

you know, that would be funny. table for two please.

jonk
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Having just gone through bedding a musket, there are a number of differing opinions. Some say to use modern glass bedding, others say to use old school paper and glue (I just used acraglas, didn't feel like messing with anything else). That decided, some say to bed the tang and breech for about 8" and the nose area from the front of the stock back about 4", and leave the barrel floating; others say to just bed the whole thing all at once.

I'm of the opinion to do the breech/muzzle first, and if needed, go back and do the rest.

Otherwise, it's just like bedding anything else. Lightly sand the area to be bedded and make sure it's clean, use plenty of release agent, and remember it's better to do it in two coats if you need a lot, than to use one really thick layer that ends up oozing out of the channel and all over the stock (which WORKS fine, but is a pain to clean up).

medic302
11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
thanks for the help guys, i decided to just glass bed the whole barrel. it turned out pretty good and clean up wasn't too bad. i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so we'll see if it helps.