PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 444 Marlin Reloading Stuff

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I picked up a Civil War era Wesson that has been converted to centerfire at the Nationals. We figured out that it has been rechambered for 444 Marlin which is a stretched 44 Magnum. I will need to get reloading components for this cartridge since I don't have dies or cases for it. Thought I would see if any of you had anything that you wanted to sell before I bought new stuff. Here's what I need.

1. Die set for 444 Marlin.

2. Brass cases for 444 Marlin, preferably Remington.

3. .427" rifle mould casting bullet around 200 to 215 grains in soft lead. Round nose is fine since the gun is a single shot. I will NOT be using this bullet in a 44/40 Henry.

If you have anything on this list that you would like to sell, click on my name at the top left and select the email option. No need to send a PM.

Thanks for looking.

Fearless Frank
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
If it is truely 444 Marlin the bullet size should be 430. I have shot a 444 for many years and I could never make it shoot well with a 427.
Remington brass is good but with light BP loads it will not expand and close off the chamber. Try some lighter Winchester brass it may work better.
Although the 444 has gotten some pretty bad reviews I have always had great success with that cartridge and I like to hear what worked well for you.

John Holland
11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
After having to learn more about the Civil War Wesson Carbine than I ever wanted to know, I have discovered that their quality control on barrel boring, rifling, and chambering left a lot to be desired. I have found the bores to vary from .410" to .430". A common bore diameter is .427. If Jim's Wesson still has the original bore it could very well be .427, as is the one my wife shoots. All you can do is slug the bore on a Wesson to find out where you have to start in the hunt for a bullet for it.

You should always remember that the Civil War Wesson is the early light weight frame version and not designed for a lot of breech pressure. Wesson redesigned the frame after the Civil War, making it much sturdier for the then popular longer range cartridges.

JDH