PDA

View Full Version : musket caps

R Filbert
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
So whats the deal with caps now a days? How come they stoped makin the wingless caps- Cause folks could aford em? All this about CCI being to cold now as reenactor caps? Is there an afordable cap out thar er what= every thing is gettin way outa control!- As it looks to me if you aint the upper crust us mids arent gonna be able to keep shootin! AS I said its gettin outa hand! Any ideas out here folks?

johnefelts
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I found and bought RWS, thats all I know of.:confused:

Lou Lou Lou
11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
I was told that the wingless caps were originally manufactured for the in-nine muzzle loaders who eventially went to shotgun primers and that we were buying up the surplus that finally gave out.

jim14th
11-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Lou , we could all go back to using flintlocks , when flint gos off the market , lightem off with a Camel

Ron/The Old Reb
11-02-2012, 08:30 AM
What do you expect with a 16 Trillion dollar debt. An economy thats in the toilet. It's not only caps it's everything.http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Maillemaker
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I heard the same thing Lou said - the wingless primers were used for inline guns until they switched to shotgun primers.

There just is not a big market for percussion caps, so they are priced accordingly.

I wonder if you could use shotgun primers or some other kind of high-volume, commonly-available primer on a specially-modified cone to replace traditional percussion caps?

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Dixie use to sell a nipple that used a rifle primer. Don't remember if would fit a musket or not.

John Holland
11-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh, boy, I can just imagine fumbling around with those things on the line! :D

Alphawolf45
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I bought a carton of 1000 CCI musket caps that are mighty pitiful weak..If'n I get serious about sending lead downrange I am gonna buy german made musket caps from this fellow.http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Maillemaker
11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh, boy, I can just imagine fumbling around with those things in the line! :D

Yeah, that's what our team commander said about wingless caps in general. They go bang OK, but you can't tell from feel which way goes which, and they can be harder to pull off the nipple. But I figured for half the price of regular caps, they would be useful for practice. I know you ought to train how you want to perform for real, but it was hard to pass up the cost savings. Of course, now they are gone. But if a modern primer could work, and it was cheap, I might be tempted to try it.

I bought a carton of 1000 CCI musket caps that are mighty pitiful weak..If'n I get serious about sending lead downrange I am gonna buy german made musket caps from this fellow.http://www.blackpowderva.com/

That's where I get mine, and my powder too. If you know someone going to the nationals, they can pick it up for you and save yourself the hazardous shipping charges.

Steve

Eggman
11-05-2012, 08:29 PM
How about this idea. Why don't we ask Navy Arms for a quote on three million of their old Brazillian top hat musket caps. If it's a good quote poll the membership for buyers. If the price is right the money will be there mucho fast. Any remaining can be sold off at the N-SSA store. Would love to see that source up and running again.