PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine brass cartridges

wshorty2
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Been 40 years since I've owned or shot a Smith Carbine . Can anyone tell me the best way to clean fired
brass cartridge cases ?

RaiderANV
10-30-2012, 08:26 PM
You'll get as many answers as how to make lube. Myself I only use hot soapy water. Let them soak then rinse with hot water a few times and let dry. Tarnish never hurts anything. Same way I do my Maynard rounds.

ms3635v
10-31-2012, 07:19 AM
I throw my Maynard cases in white vinegar for about an hour - that dissolves gunpowder and any remaining lube. Then I rinse in hot, soapy water, let them dry and throw them in my Lyman Turbo Tumbler until they are shiny. I've been using this method for 27 years and it works well. Never had a problem with the brass being in the vinegar for an hour...it really does work.

Lou Lou Lou
10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Been using dish soap in a Thumlers tumbler for 20 years. Works like a champ.

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
11-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I have often tumbled my maynard cases in my RCBS vibratory case cleaner to shine them up. I had been loathe to do that with the Smith cases given their size and weight. Do or have others used a vibratory cleaner on Smith cases?

Thanks!

Lou Lou Lou
11-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Back in the day, before I switched to the Thumler's Tumbler I used a vibratory tumbler. The issue was that it really messed up the media and you had to clean out the touch holes. I gave it away

Maillemaker
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
For cleaning modern firearm brass, I have used a rotating tumbler with steel shot, with dishwashing detergent and a product called LemonShine. Makes for very pretty brass.

When I can afford some, I want to get some of the stainless steel "rod" tumbling media - it is supposed to do a superior job getting inside cases and also primer holes/pockets.

Steve