PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry Maynard

civilwarlife
10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Thinking of buying a Harper's Ferry Maynard repro carbine serial no. 250. Are these approved for competition and if not can they be submitted to SAC for use?

Thanks

John Holland
10-30-2012, 01:26 PM
If it is dated 1976, or later it is approved for use. If not, then it requires an individual approval from the SAC.

JDH

DaveC
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
John,
I also have a second model Maynard from Harpers Ferry Arms, but there is no date on it. There is a serial number on the barrel. Where would I find the manufacture date for this? Thanks

Dave Cole
12th PRV
10430V

civilwarlife
11-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I guess there is no one from the SAC reading this stuff.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Hello civilwarlife
The question you asked was answered by John Holland who is the Chairman of the SAC.

If it is dated 1976, or later it is approved for use. If not, then it requires an individual approval from the SAC

Hope this clears up your question. Depending on what region your team is in you can find a SAC person that can guide you through the process. This information is located on the N-SSA main site @ www.N-SSA.org (http://www.N-SSA.org)

Wayne Shaw 1985V Member of the SAC and in the CV Region

DaveC
11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Wayne, is there any way to just look and determine when the weapon was made? that I think is the issue.. there is no way other than inspecting it, which is not a biggie, but would be nice to have an idea, like with the italian proof marks on the barrels as to the date of manufacture.

dave

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Dave I don't have the answer to the break point on HFA serial numbers , but I will get you the answer. Thanks Wayne Shaw 1985V

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
11-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Dave The answer your looking for is this. Since these carbines were made in several batches over several years. The National BOD working with the SAC set the date of 1976 and later dates as the only approved carbines. The serial numbers on these carbines are random and don't gee up with years. Simplely if the carbine is not year stamped on the right side of the receiver 1976 or later it's not approved. If you have one that's not stamped you will need to have the SAC check it out and issue you a card. I hope this helps. Wayne Shaw 1985V SAC

DaveC
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Wayne, that is the info i was looking for. Thank you

dave

RaiderANV
11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Here I go out on a limb with these H.F's,,,,,,, first never say Harper's Ferry and Maynxxx in the same sentence. OK,,,,,,it's been my experience that every one I've encountered ABOVE serial #187 is a carbine that would pass the SAC and I've had maybe 25 or better. And no.......I don't shoot them. I dump them on the reenactors message board.

Eggman
11-17-2012, 07:00 PM
PJ --- I'm confused by your "MAYNARDS laus deo!" slogan. There is no deo in the Latin dictionary. Do you mean Maynards love dogs?

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Deo is Latin, as in "Gloria in excelsis Deo". (Glory in the highest to God). Nouns such as Deus (god) will have different endings, not all of which will appear in the dictionary.

Eggman
11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Like poor Chruchill's first exposure to Latin, vz. "Mensa" -- a table, or "Mensa" -- O table (used when addressing a table), or "Mensam" -- a table, or Mensae -- of a table, or "Mensae -- to or for a table, or "Mensa" -- by, with, or from a table. We used to sing those Latin monastery songs in (public) high school chorus but were never told what the words meant. You Catholic school guys definately have an edge.
Shouldn't it be the other way -- Deo laus Maynards --- God loves Maynards??

RaiderANV
11-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Eggs,,,,,,,,,,,ya keeps thinkin' to much and ya know the doc said that's what makes yes brain hurt.And everything is bass ackwards in every language sept'n good ol' Southron English!

ThomasKavanagh
11-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Given that, in Latin the suffixes carry the meaning of the words in a particular sentence, the word *order* of a sentence (in English: subject, verb, object, aka SVO) is irrelevant, so it could be SOV, VOS, OSV, etc.

Maynardae* Deo laus.

*If'n y'all are gonna try 'n tawk Latin, use the Latin form fer more'n one.

tk (aka Dr Tom, PhD)
2883v
Wheat's Tigers

Ron/The Old Reb
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Back in the early 50's we were told that we had to have two years of Latin to get into collage ( that was a crock ) took one year of Latin and only learned one Latin word. The Latin for money. So I guess it wasn't a total loss because thats all the world cares about today is Money.

RaiderANV
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Maynardae* Deo laus. *If'n y'all are gonna try 'n tawk Latin, use the Latin form fer more'n one.tk (aka Dr Tom, PhD)2883vWheat's Tigers Thanks Doc! If'n I'da paid more attention in Sunday school I'da known that.

Eggman
11-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Maynardae Deo laus. It's almost Biblical.

RaiderANV
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
The Book of Maynard. I dunno....... eggs. That might be goin ah tad fer.least we don't have to pray the the Saint of Hot Caps so our carbine goes bang. =)

John Holland
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Amo...Amas...Amat...Ad Nauseum....

Pretty much the sum total of my first year of Latin, 1962/3.

JDH

RaiderANV
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
1962BC,,,,,DANG!!! Thar be dirt youner then Sir John. =)

Mike McDaniel
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Let us read from the Book of Armaments, chapters 3 through 16....

ThomasKavanagh
11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Let us read from the Book of Armaments, chapters 3 through 16....

Let us not forget to whom King Arthur turned when consulting said Book of Armaments (aka the SAC regs): ...

Wait for it...

"Brother MAYNARD ..."

Somewhat prescient, those Pythonidae (or is it Pythonoidea?).

tk (aka Dr Tom PhD)
2883v
Wheat's Tigers

"I could have been a judge. But I didn't have the Latin for the judging."

Ron/The Old Reb
11-20-2012, 06:58 AM
John that that puts you in about the same class a me, a year wasted when I could learned something useful.

John Holland
11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Ron, I actually had four years of language, two years of Latin which actually gave me a good foundation for our language roots; and two years of Spanish which was also a good foundation for the Romance languages. The Latin was tedious and the Spanish was not really difficult and rather fun. Although, I will say the textbook Spanish I learned bears no resemblance to spoken Puerto Rican, Mexican, or the language of Spain. I was in Stuttgart once upon a time and met a girl from Spain. We could communicate in my basic Spanish, although she said she found my "Spanish" to be amusing. Harrumph!

John

Ron/The Old Reb
11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
John I could not get the hang of it. It was a struggle for me all year. I do wish I could learn Greek so I could read the scriptures in the original language. They say you do not get the beauty of the Bible unless you read it in the original Greek. But I am to old to start now.

rachbobo
11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Although, I will say the textbook Spanish I learned bears no resemblance to spoken Puerto Rican, Mexican, or the language of Spain. I was in Stuttgart once upon a time and met a girl from Spain. We could communicate in my basic Spanish, although she said she found my "Spanish" to be amusing. Harrumph!

John[/QUOTE]

I lived in New Mexico for 11 years and learned just enought Spanish to get in trouble when ever I tried to use it.
I was invited to a traditional Mexican hog kill they hold about 2 weeks before Christmas.
The hogs are slaughtered and the meat and lard is given out to all. It is a multi family affair and very traditional in the way it's done.
When I say traditional, long before our country was founded the Spanish made deals with the local natives and Spanish Land Grants were agreed to.
This Hog kill was done on one of the land grants so tradition goes back a long way.
After the hogs were butchered and the eating traditional Mexican food and drinking began, my friend Santiago( Jimmy ) Padilla introduced me to a local dignitary a New Mexico State Senator and his wife, CRS his name.
Jimmy told me to say to the Senator, Dame To Mano, give me your hand. And to his wife, Dame to Quapo < sp ? .
The Senator nodded with respect and gave me a firm handshake.
But when I said Dame To Quapo <sp ? he bristled and glared at me while his wife giggled.
She leaned close and said, you just said give me your body. ( by the way, she was a real hottie )
We all looked at Jimmy as he laughed and ran away as I threw my full beer at him.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Maillemaker
11-20-2012, 04:31 PM
LOL that sounds like something out of a movie! :p

Steve

ThomasKavanagh
11-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I never had formal Latin. I had French in High school and Spanish in New Mexico--I lived in NM 67-71 and 81-86 (UNM underdgrad and PhD--which gave me the basics to the Romance languages. I learned texbook Spanish, and sort of "spoke" un pocotito of the local idioma (I struggle thru the Spanglish of La Voz column in the Santa Fe New Mexican). I taught myself to read XVIII and XIX C Spanish documentary handwriting for my dissertation and books (Comanche Political History). I have dictionaries for three languages within reach at my desk: English, Spanish, and Comanche. The Latin dictionary/grammar is across the room.

Given that several of those languages (Latin, French, Spanish, Comanche) were multi-national and common languages for trade and commerce, it sometimes amazes me that a lot of Americans are adamently mono-lingual.

I'm also trying to learn Gaelic, listening to Radio na Gaeltacht right now.

(ps., for "quapo", I think you meant 'cuerpo')

tk
2883v
Wheat's Tigers

Our Motto this week:
Be Thankful; Eat Well, Have Fun; Don't Get Caught

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
For those of you who didn't enjoy Latin in school, I offer up the following verse of origin unknown dating from my high school days.

Latin's a dead language,
As dead as it can be.
Latin killed old Caesar
And now its killing me.

Ron/The Old Reb
11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Good one Jim. Thats how I felt about it when I was in Latin class. A dead language good only if you are going to be a theologian or a doctor. Wish I would had taken machine shop instead, that I could have used.:-?

Blair
11-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I took only one foreign language when I was in High School, and I had one heck of a time with it. No way around it "English" was a required subject!I kept thinkin they should be learnin me "American"?

John Holland
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Ron,

I bought my first lathe at age 17, while in my Junior year of high school. I wanted to take Machine Shop to learn how to run it, but was not allowed to do so along with my college entrance courses. Machine Shop was relegated to the guys who weren't going anywhere after high school!

JDH

Maillemaker
11-21-2012, 04:07 PM
That was me! I wish I had taken shop in high school also.

Steve

John Holland
11-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Ron/Steve,

Actually it all worked out in the end. I left college, very disappointed with the experience, and went to work in heavy industry. I was making more money than my friends who were teaching school, which is what I had intended on for a career. I finally ended up taking an apprenticeship in Tool & Die Making. As an apprentice I worked 56 hours a week on the job training, plus 10 hours a week in night school for four years.

It made a good life for me, and I'm retired now. A bit beat up around the edges from an assortment of injuries associated with dangerous jobs, but I'd do it all over again in a heart beat!

John

Ron/The Old Reb
11-22-2012, 08:25 AM
John & Steave
Collage is not for everyone. I was born and raise In Lewisburg Pa. We live right at the bottom of Bucknell hill. Most of my class mates where collage professors kids so collage was pushed in Lewisburg High. I got a part time job with a large retail food chain when I was 16 years old and worked for them for over 38 years until I retired. I made a good life for myself and my wife. We did more and saw more then our parents ever did. Been all over the United States and fulfilled my childhood dream in 1995 of going on an African hunting Safari. Money and education is not everything. As Paul told the Corinthians Faith, Hope and Love is where it is at. But I mite add to that good friends, good times and peace. Peace in your heart and in your soul. And as Charlie Browns says " Happiness is a warm puppy " Have a good Thanksgiving.