PDA

View Full Version : Variations of the Mississippi Rifle

ms3635v
10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
This is a question for anyone on the Small Arms Committee and anyone who knows the answer. I am considering converting my Euroarms Mississippi to a "G" type conversion. In the article, "US Percussion Rifle Model 1841", by Craig L. Barry and Curt Heinrich Schmidt, they list the following alterations that would constitute a "G" type conversion:

Variation G: The 1,742 US 1841 alterations modified by A. J. Drake for the State of Massachusetts
1. .54 calibre barrel
2. original long double loop front band
3. M1855 Rifle short range rear sight with the angled rear of the sight base filed flat to 90 degrees without the dovetail extension angle dovetailed and screwed to the barrel
4. M1855 Rifle front sight which serves as the bayonet stud for an interior diameter modified M1855 socket bayonet
5. iron/steel tulip tip ramrod
6. base of rear sight location 2.85 inches from breech, sight radius 28.5 inches, 5 inches stock tip to muzzle

Will the Smalls Arms Committee allow these alterations to a Euroarms Mississippi Rifle?

Any help would be most appreciated

John Holland
10-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Mike - My email address is in the Skirmish Line magazine under Small Arms Committee Chairman. Contact me direct by email and I will send you everything you need.

For the purposes of the N-SSA/Small Arms Committee the rifle is not designated as a "Type G", but just a "Drake Alteration". This is because the SAC created their designations long before anyone else ever thought about it.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

ms3635v
10-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks John, I'll do that.

Blair
10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Mike,

Please note, there are two (basic) variations of the M-1841 Rifle that allow the use of a socket type bayonet. I have not read the suggestions posted by Mr. C L Berry nor Mr. C H Schmidt. (Perhaps, you could post them?)
There are two alterations that I am aware of, they are;

#1. and probably the most common will be the usage of the M-1855 Rifle Musket socket bayonet. Bayonet locking lug and front sight combo being added to the barrel after the muzzle end of the barrel section has been turned down to allow the socket of the bayonet to fit.

#2. is the usage of the M-1835/42 socket bayonet. These have the socket bayonet locking lug placed on the bottom of the barrel. A separate front sight is added to the top of the barrel.
Where this front sight is placed, and its style, may depend greatly on who is doing this type of socket bayonet conversion. Research and documentation in this area is highly recommended before you proceed.
Please check with the SAC suggestions. (These guys, are, without a doubt your best source of info)

ms3635v
10-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Blair,

I can email you the article. PM me your email address.

ms3635v
10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Blair,

Check your email. I sent the article this morning.

Damon
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/American-Military-Shoulder-Arms-Volume/dp/0826350003

Moller's book covers the alterations very well and I think more clearly than Barry and Schmidt's article unless there a a better one than the monograph I have seen.

ms3635v
10-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the post. John Holland sent me the SAC spec sheet for the alteration I am interested in making.