PDA

View Full Version : Bilharz and Hall carbine

R Filbert
10-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Thinkin of makin a Bilharz and hall carbine using parts from an old navy Zouave- Is the trigger guard of the 61 type or is it different as I notice 2 screws in it? Have brass and pewter nose caps- and does the but plate have to be of the 42 type or an iron 41- Is the back barrel band of a 42 good for it or is it smaller? Also howabout the sling swivel -is it oval or round? Please PM me with what yall know of this carbe! It will be if great help- I do beleive Bly built 1- I may try and call him. Thanks to all.

GPM
10-27-2012, 10:20 AM
The trigger guard is a 41 type in iron, although shorter in length and without the swell or flare toward the rear, and as you said it uses two screws behind the bow instead of one as on a 42. The buttplate is an iron 41 type, a 42 buttplate would be to large. The rear band is in the same location on the stock as a standard Mississippi, a 42 band might be to large to fit the contour of the Miss. barrel, I'll take some measurements shortly and see. The swivel is round, and in my opinion would be the most challenging part to make.
The triggerguard, buttplate and rear band are very close to the dimensions of the 51 cadet musket, and these parts can be had from S&S. For a custom build I don't see why they wouldn't work. The rear triggerguard tang would have to be modified in shape, and the stock would need to be special ordered from dunlap without the rear tang of the T/G inletted full length. Dunlap will work with you on this as I've special ordered stocks a couple of times.
I'll see if dimensions on the triggerguard are listed in "Confederate Carbines and Musketoons" if you are concerned with getting it that close.

R Filbert
10-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info on the carbine -I will see if I can find some cadet parts- as for the stock I make them by hand from select walnut that I have- I've had a few Dunlap stocks and sometimes the ramrod holes arent drilled correctly- comming into the lock screw hole -Pain in the tail to re-drill! Would like to get exact demensions of the trigger guard if you have it- c/c on holes and oal/length or what is correct I'm thinking of just wiping the eagle off the zouave lock -as it seems to have sharpe shoulders on the hall carbine . What do you think of the barrel- Gonna use the zouave and drawfile it to size then cut it to length. Pope says the cadet rear band should work As well as the but plate.

GPM
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes I've ran into the ramrod channel problem you mentioned on Dunlap stocks at least once. I checked and no dimensions are given for the T/G. The overall length looks to be close to the length of a model 61 T/G, perhaps a little shorter, I would be willing to bet that originals vary some. "Arming the Glorious Cause" by Whisker has the best pic of the T/G I've found on pg 37. On the barrel I think the outside diameter is the same as a standard Miss/Zouave, so other than cutting to length you should be fine.

GPM
10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Here is a link to S&S's page on Cadet parts. Lodgewood may have them also but there not listed on their web site.
http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=84

R Filbert
10-28-2012, 07:25 PM
On the guard -is it contuored the same as the 61 as I have several of these- mabe all I have to do is put in another hole?

John Bly
10-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Robert, I've got one I built some years ago that is approved. I've got a full size paper copy of a picture of one. I've got some original Bilharz parts, barrel, trigger plate & bow & rear band. a '42 rear band will work. The trigger plate is unlike any other but can be welded up from a '61 style. You can use mine to copy from. I'll call you to discuss further. John Bly 5109V

R Filbert
10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks John I knew you had built 1 -I got a zouave for a good price and thought I'd turn it in to reb gun Other than what it is!