PDA

View Full Version : Question for John Holland

rachbobo
10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
John,
I am almost done with the CS Macon 24 inch barrel smoothbore.
One thing on the inspection sheet I can not find is how the front ( middle barrel band ) is secured.
Is it held in place by a barrel band spring or is a hole drilled and a screw inserted like on the longer barreled versions.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
"Bands –NOTE: Upper band is a middle M-1842 band with sling swivel"
Front Sight – Pinched C.S. Richmond Carbine type 0.250” high, mounted on the barrel

It would have to be a band-spring holding it in place, since it is the regular "middle band" on the full length musket, not the original band that had a front sight.

All other models of the Macon utilize the regular front band, that has a front sight.

30 inch Macon Bands – M-1842, Front band held in place w/round head wood screw, or band spring
34 inch Macon Bands – M-1842, Front band held in place w/round head wood screw
36 inch Macon Bands – M-1842, Front band held in place w/ band spring

If you need a sheet shoot me an email

josephplakis@comcast.net

rachbobo
10-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Joe,
Thanks,
I built it according to the spec sheet and that was the one thing not covered on it.
Earlier today I stopped by and picked up a CS Richmond pinched front sight from Dan Whitacre. I filed it down to the spec of .25 inches height and it is ready to go.
All I'm waiting on is for UPS or who ever to bring me the screw in stud and swivel for the rear sling attachment.
It's a damned handy little smoothbore, don't have all that weight hanging off the front with a full 3 bander.
Time will tell, but either way it was fun building it.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

John Holland
10-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Joe, thanks for the great reply to Bill. And, Bill, check your email for additional info.

John