PDA

View Full Version : Trigger test weight

civilwarlife
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Who do I need to see about getting a regulation N-SSA trigger weight?

Thanks

Edwin Flint
10-22-2012, 11:40 AM
The weights used are standard NRA trigger weights. They are available on line from a number of sources.

ms3635v
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Brownells sells NRA trigger pull weights.

kowdok
10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I looked high and low and the only place I could find them was Brownells. They aren't cheap, about $130.

Mike Stein
10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Pricing is the same as Brownell's
http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=556

Mike

hp gregory
10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
they are pretty easy to make. a bean can and a coat hange. weigh the rod, can and the correct amount of lead balls. then place the hanger in the can with a bent end on it. then put the lead in and heat it with a torch. when the lead melts it seals the hanger in the can. if its to heavy drill out some of the lead.

hp

Maillemaker
10-23-2012, 08:44 AM
HP's way sounds like the way to go!

Steve

Bullseye54
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
What is the mininum trigger pull for the nssa? joe

RaiderANV
10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
2lbs for pistol & 3lbs for everything else

Bullseye54
10-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I think Cabelas has an electronic one for 64. bucks

2lbs for pistol & 3lbs for everything else

Ron/The Old Reb
10-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Lyman makes a Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gage that goes from 0 to 12 lbs. I have one and I like it. Midway USA has them for $57.99.

John Holland
10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
The electronic gadgets are all very nice "Tom Swift" stuff, but your long arm must be able to suspend a 3 pound weight from the trigger with the arm at full-cock.

I also volunteer some of my time with the IG Corps, and in doing a random lottery inspection one time I had a musket fail to suspend the 3 pound weight. The competitor complained that the weight must be over 3 pounds because he had checked the trigger pull at home with his electronic scale and it would just get to 3 pounds before it went off. I gently reminded him that the musket had to HOLD 3 pounds, not go off at 3 pounds.

JDH

Ron/The Old Reb
10-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Not everyone can afford to sink $130.00 dollars into a set of regulation weight that they will only use a few times.

ThomasKavanagh
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
My home tester is 3 lbs of lead ingots on a bent coathanger. The MoE is probably on the heavy side, so it should pass the official test.

tk
2883V

John Holland
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Ron, you missed the point.

I didn't say not to use an electronic device, I said a person has to learn how to use it in relation to the N-SSA's specifically stated Rules.

As far as the cost goes, it was amply explained how to make a utilitarian example "on the cheap".

JDH

Scott Kurki, 12475
10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
This may be a good item for a team purchase. That way all can share it.

Mike McDaniel
10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
I looked high and low and the only place I could find them was Brownells. They aren't cheap, about $130.About $95 with a dealer's discount.

John Holland
10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Scott, you're right! That is exactly what my team did many years ago. It doesn't hurt to have everyone on the team "Present Arms" every once in awhile, just to make sure everything is in order. There's nothing worse than taking a team penalty for a light trigger pull. Of course, we also check each arm in general for compliance, sights, etc.

JDH

Blair
10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
It is a good idea to leave yourself with a little bit of leeway when testing your trigger pull.
This may result in some wear on the internal parts as well as with humidity and/or dampness.
3.5 t0 4.0 lbs. of trigger pull usually works quite well for me with 'off hand shooting'.
Just my thoughts on this subject,

hp gregory
10-25-2012, 07:19 AM
i explained a simple way of making a weight out of a bean can and coat hanger. here is a more deluxe version of same. owning a auto repair shop has it advantages although they are few. i took a straight hunk of 2 1/4 exhaust pipe and cut it with a tubing cutter. i purchased the proper size freeze plugs to drive in the pipe. drive a plug in one end and used a wire welder to tack it in place. using a straight smooth rod of the proper size from tractor supply i drilled the top freeze plug for the rod to slide through it then tack welded it to the plug on the back side. lay all the parts on a good scale then add enough revolver balls or lead shot to get the desired weight. place the balls in the plugged pipe then drive the top plug in place. weigh everything again then tack weld the top plug to the pipe. when you are done you have a very nice looking weight that will last forever. and yes the last tacks and paint if you use it will put you over the desired weight just a tad but thats not a bad thing. the important thing with any weight is to know how to use it. read the ig procedures for checking the differant types of triggers. like any tool its no good if its not used properly.

oh almost forgot. wow john, tom swift. i wonder how many people know who you are talking about. i sure do. every summer when i was out of school i would buy those books for a dollar and have a ball reading them. they sure were great books.

hp