PDA

View Full Version : Moose Moulds

ms3635v
10-21-2012, 08:58 AM
At the Fall National, I bought a 2 cavity mould for our Smith and Maynard carbines from Moose Moulds. The bullet is the .520400. Yesterday, I took the mould out back and casted 300 bullets. I rested the mould next to the pot, I use a plumbers pot that attaches to a 20 gallon propane tank, while the lead melted. When the lead was at casting temperature I began pouring. The very first bullets out of the mould were keepers with no imperfections. The mould, coated with Moose Juice, allowed the bullets to drop right out when I opened the mould. The mould performed flawlessly. Later in the day I measured the diameter of a random number of bullets and they all measured .520 dead on the nose. Then, I randomly selected 100 bullets and weighed them on my digital scale. After compiling the data I was pleased to find that the 100 bullets I weighed did not vary more than 2.2 grains. So, at the point, I decided that today I would cast another batch and then I will have a sufficient amount of bullets for both my son-in-law, who shoots a Smith, and me, I shoot a Maynard, for Spring practice and the start of the season. Great job Moose and Moosette!:D

jonk
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
What's Moose Juice?

Jim Barber
10-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm dying to get my hands on the Wilkinson mold my dad and I ordered. You might say we have Moose Fever. For normal skirmishers, willingly going to the range when it's 40 degrees and sleeting would be unpleasant. But when Moose Fever sets in, the skirmisher loses all semblance of sanity. He checks his email feverishly, awaits the call of the Fed Ex guy, and then (freshly minted Expansion Rounds in hand) rushes out into the gale to try out his new rounds. Yeah, I can't wait. Anyone have a recommended load for the .577 Wilkinson? We'll probably have to size down to .575, btw.

Moose Madness!!!!
Jim B.
110th OVI

Sam Sellaro, 12403
10-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I have shot them in two rifles one 45gr 3f and the other was 52gr 3f. The more important things are the fit and way you lube them.
Sam

ms3635v
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Moose juice is the mould prep that Moose sells or his moulds.

medic302
10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
you know i'm strongly considering getting a wilkinson mold in .577 for my long enfield. how do they shoot?

jonk
10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Moose juice is the mould prep that Moose sells or his moulds.

I gathered that, but is it more of a lubricant, or a mold release? I'd love a good mold release that doesn't build up like the stuff Midway sells, and doesn't cause fillout problems either.

ms3635v
10-25-2012, 01:13 PM
It's a graphite mix that allows your bullets to drop freely from the mould. I also use it on the spruce plate where it attaches to the top of the mould.

moosette
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
How did everyone know Moose had a fever? Ha-Ha...wound up with the Flu after the Nationals, but he's back in business again and for those that ordered Moulds at the Nationals, (especially you and your dad Jim) - they will be shipping early next week! Please don't tackle the USPS delivery person :eek:

Please let us know how they shoot for you, we've heard nothing but great results on the Wilkinson...

For those interested in trying out our "Moose Juice" - feel free to PM me your address and I'll ship you out one of our sample bottles.

Glad to hear you are pleased with the .520 Mike - guess the double cavity was a blessing in disguise!!

Talk with ya all soon, have a pleasant evening!

pdecarlo
11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Have been shooting a Wilkerson for 3 yrs. now. This is the first time any body ever mentioned lube. Please more info im up for trying almost ant thing once.

Jim Barber
11-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Just got home, and lo and behold-- the Postal Fairies had left me a present! Got the new Wilkinson mould (.577) , now we just need a little non-typhoon weather to cast up a few and get out to the range. Thanks Moose & Moosette-- I hope you guys didn't get drowned on your way back from the post office! Will post up results once we get an opportunity to dial in a load off the bench. It would be cruel and unscientific to test it with me shooting offhand. I'm especially curious about its 100 yard potential, as the ballistics I've read suggest it maintains velocity much better than both the standard Minie and the wadcutter, and dramatically more accurate in a crosswind. Of course the ballistics I read came from the writings of Mr. Wilkinson himself, so there may be an element of self-promotion in there someplace. Will update all with our initial results, and thanks again!

Cheers
Jim B.
110th OVI

WBR10654
02-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Are these Aluminum Molds?

I tried the Lee Aluminum six cavity molds for my Maynard and did not like them...

I will only buy Steel or Brass ones in the future.

DPB

Rich Foster
02-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Don't compare a Lee grade aluminum to a Rapine or Moose grade Aluminum. You buy a Lee mold when you cannot afford or find any other that will work for you. A Lee mold will function properly if you pay real close attention to the use and care of the mold. Rich

ian45662
02-27-2015, 07:35 PM
moose and lee moulds are not even in the same ball park. Moose moulds are some of the finest moulds have ever used: steel, aluminum or otherwise. Lee moulds are alright and will get the job done but if you have been hesitant to pick up one of moose moulds because they are aluminum then you are really doing yourself an injustice. I have 4 of them and am waiting on others to come out and at that point I will own more. They are great moulds and will provide a lifetime of use if properly taken care of

ms3635v
02-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I only ever owned one Lee minie mould and it was not able to withstand constant casting. I have shot Rapine moulds in the past and they worked well, but since I have been using Moose Moulds for the past three years, I doubt I would buy any other brand of mould. Moose has put a lot of thought into his design and the moulds work flawlessly...just my two cents worth.