PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbine For sale

hugosmom
10-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I've got an authentic .50 caliber breach loading Smith Carbine I am interested in selling. It belonged to my grandfather (although I don't believe he was the original owner ;)) It's in excellent condition and may not ever have been fired. I've got many more photos that I would be happy to share. Boring is excellent, blueing is approximately 95%. It's an original with the Poultney Trimble mark as well as the makers cartouches on either side of the stock. It locks tight and I think it would be a great addition to anyone's collection. The serial number is in the mid 14000s if I recall. 992
Thanks for your interest.

ms3635v
10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
What is the price?

hugosmom
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
After doing all the research on this gun and knowing it's condition, I'm looking for $2000.

John Holland
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Which manufacturer, Mass. Arms, or American Machine Works?

JDH

hugosmom
10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Which manufacturer, Mass. Arms, or American Machine Works?

JDH

It was made by Mass Arms

John Holland
10-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you! The Mass Arms Smith is the more difficult of the two to collect in hi-grade condition. All of the Mass Arms Smiths were issued early on, while many thousands of the Am. Mach. Wks. Smiths remained unfired and stored in crates at the wars end.

Thanks again,
JDH

hugosmom
10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Thank you! The Mass Arms Smith is the more difficult of the two to collect in hi-grade condition. All of the Mass Arms Smiths were issued early on, while many thousands of the Am. Mach. Wks. Smiths remained unfired and stored in crates at the wars end.

Thanks again,
JDH

This gun, if used at all, doesn't seem to have ever been fired. The rifling is pristine and as you look down the barrel, it's mirror-like. I'm currently looking to see exactly which unit this gun was assigned to. I believe I mentioned earlier that the serial number is in the 14,000s so that's about halfway through the numbers. I appreciate your interest though. Thanks.:)

ms3635v
10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I have an early Smith with serial #1XX that is unfired as well, which puts it in the first shipment of Smiths to leave the factory. Records show that 400 were shipped in January 1862. Mine is unfired, so I suspect this may have come from a crate as John Holland has noted in his post.