PDA

View Full Version : Revolver tuning...

William H. Shuey
10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I have acquired a revolver and have noticed that the main spring is pretty stiff when cocking. Is it permissible to modify the main spring to reduce the spring's strength, and what is the best way to do it??

Bill Shuey

Runs.for.beer
10-13-2012, 10:23 AM
If your revolver is a Remington 1858 NMA, you may may increase or decrease the spring tension by the adjustment screw.

See part Part no. 53

William H. Shuey
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I should have made clear the pistol is an 1851 Navy Colt!

Bill Shuey

le piaf
10-16-2012, 04:35 AM
reduce spring tension decrease only speed of movment of the hammer and strength of percussion , The best way to reduce strength on piece 10 is to bond or weld a little blade of copperalloy in the cock position of the hammer in view to reduce his deepness .

Eggman
10-16-2012, 10:17 AM
There is also the option of thinning it down. I have a Durs Egg flintlock from kit that used to eat a flint in three shots. I filed and Dremeled the flex part of the mainspring until it was about 50% original thickness. Works beautifully now.
Another option is Bill Osborn who checked fifteen Rogers & Spencer mainsprings for me until he determined the STRONGEST to replace a mushy one, which yours might become.
Jim Van Eldik
#7786 (with no "v", two of my previous teams will not admit I was a member)
LCMS (Lower classified meatball shooter)

kowdok
10-17-2012, 07:06 AM
unbeknownest to Eggman, paperwork has been submitted by his current team to have an "E" installed behind his competitor number. Eggman can speculate on what the "E" might stand for; we, his fellow team members, like to think the "E" is for Eggman, a one of a kind.;)